Question The Mystery of the Miraculously Restored HP Compaq 8200 Microtower.

Aug 14, 2019
A few years ago when support for Windows Vista ended I picked up a HP Compaq 8200 Micro tower for my father, that was being donated out from the It department of a local area health clinic a friend worked at. The machine itself was a mostly stock core I3 version, with the exception of added ram scavenged from another computer of same type and frequency.
He's the archetype of baby boomer computer illiterate, as well as penny wise and dollar/pound stupid, so he was using the computer for simple things like email, reading online news and investment articles, watching things on you tube, scanning and printing documents, etc. He was also not doing anything like paying for cloud based storage/backup.

He does whatever he does on the computer until a few months ago this year, when I get a series of panicked calls and emails (using my mother's computer) telling me that the computer won't start. I eventually manage to get him calmed down enough to try to turn the thing on and give me the error message, so I can look it up. The message looks to be associated with a bad master boot record, so I go over there with a copy of Windows 7 and try to rewrite it. No luck there, so I make a Linux Mint Live USB, start up, run Clam AV, and transfer over his documents, financial documents,passwords, photos, etc. over to another USB drive, and then do a reformat/fresh Windows 7 install on his machine, getting drivers set up, setting up new Administrator and everyday use accounts for him, getting Libre Office installed etc.

For a month or so everything seemed fine, he continues on as normal, until one morning I get a series of emails again. The computer had sometime during the night or early morning turned itself back on, and system restored itself back to the state it was at before it went down the first time. I had reformatted the hard drives on the machine, deleting all partitions and redoing everything from scratch. so all local copies of this data should have been destroyed. Back up images were not being made to an external hard drive or anywhere else that I was aware of. I don't think he'd be able to do a system restore from a back up image even if there was one saved somewhere at that house. The only answer I could come up with was that his data existed out there somewhere without his consent or under his control, and that someone for some reason had remotely turned on a shut down computer and restored it to a state from a few weeks earlier. After a few days I managed to get him to pull the power cable from the back of the tower, change all his passwords, as well as put a watch on all his financial accounts, as tax documents, investment stuff etc. were included in the restored data, to try to control potential damage and make whatever data that might be out there useless. I was finally able to get out to their place last night, and after turning off their Roku, my mothers computer, unplugged power from their gateway, made sure the LAN cable was unplugged from his computer , and started his up. On booting up it had one option for Windows 7 that lead to the recovery environment, the other to Windows 7 Pro (recovered). Sure enough upon booting up it takes me to his computer as it was before all this happened. Everything I did after reformatting is gone. I opened up the Event Viewer, and was able to find entries relating to recovery in June(when it went down) and July (when it turn on and restored itself) but was not able to make much more of it than that.

How did this happen? What can I do to find out what happened or further secure my parents information?
The friend who got the donation computer in the first place did mention that the IT department he worked for was trying to move things into the cloud, but I haven't been in contact with him for over a year, and that was mentioned maybe two or three years ago. When my father received this computer it had a fresh reformat/install of Windows 7 Pro. I have set their computers to update automatically, so all drivers/patches should have been current. Could this computer be registered in a block of serial numbers by the clinic it was donated from to a cloud backup server, and have been caught up in a company wide restore? Could my father's computer be part of some sort of botnet? I've never heard of a shut off computer starting on it's own and then remotely restoring, but that looks to be the case here.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Aug 14, 2019
Doubt that the data came from or was recovered from the cloud.

My thought is that your dad's computer may be, indeed, getting into WinRE.

References:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...to-findlocate-winrewim?forum=win10itprogenera

Note Situation 2 in the second link.

Do some additional research (googling) on the details regarding WinRE.

Good chance that you will be able to reconstruct events.

The machine is and always has been to my knowledge a Windows 7 machine. I'm not following how above links apply. I deleted all the old partitions and reformatted the drives before doing a new install of Windows 7, setting up new accounts etc. There should have been no local recovery partition to recover to this previous state from. This data should not exist, and yet I confirmed yesterday that it is there.

Aug 14, 2019
IdGXWer.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
If you reformatted both drives then Event Viewer would have been gone and there would be no record of any events in June or July.

When you did this: "I deleted all the old partitions and reformatted the drives before doing a new install of Windows 7, setting up new accounts etc. " - what procedure or process did you follow? Some third party utility?

Noted "Linux Mint Live USB was used"... What was the source of that drive?

All I can say at this time is whatever you did was either on the wrong drive (as has been suggested) or what you did (e.g. reformat) simply did not work at all if on the correct drive.

Your image shows that about 70 GB is being used on the C: (boot drive). Is that value consistent with what you expect considering the OS (Windows 7) installed along with other apps and data?

Curious about all this as I am unable to even "reverse engineer" the presented scenario.

"Interesting reading" indeed....

Aug 14, 2019
If you reformatted both drives then Event Viewer would have been gone and there would be no record of any events in June or July.

When you did this: "I deleted all the old partitions and reformatted the drives before doing a new install of Windows 7, setting up new accounts etc. " - what procedure or process did you follow? Some third party utility?

Noted "Linux Mint Live USB was used"... What was the source of that drive?

All I can say at this time is whatever you did was either on the wrong drive (as has been suggested) or what you did (e.g. reformat) simply did not work at all if on the correct drive.

Your image shows that about 70 GB is being used on the C: (boot drive). Is that value consistent with what you expect considering the OS (Windows 7) installed along with other apps and data?

Curious about all this as I am unable to even "reverse engineer" the presented scenario.

"Interesting reading" indeed....

I deleted/reformatted drives and partitions in the windows 7 new installation process. That is, I booted up from my Windows 7 DVD, went on to installation. When arriving at the screen where you select which drive/partition to install at, I deleted all partitons, reformatted drives, comfiriming when the "are you sure you want to do this, all prior data will be lost" windows came up. After that was done I selected the drive I had set in Bios to be the primary drive, and did a fresh install there. Punched in the OEM key from the sticker on his tower as part of the new installation process and went from there.

The live USB was a USB drive ordered from Amazon , made into a live USB with the Universal USB Installer from Pendrivelinux.com and Linux Mint downloaded from Linuxmint.com on one of my machines.

I assure you that both drives were reformatted. I made a point of deleting all partitions and reformatting both drives before doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

I'm unsure as to what the 70Gb of data is on C, I'd assume a few years worth of whatever he put on there. The installation I did looks to be completely gone, so I cannot tell you the discrepancy between the two. If it was restored from existing local data, why not right away instead of about a month after recovery attempts, attempts at rewriting the MBR, and finally a reformat and install? Why on it's own?

I did notice when taking that picture that there was some data on the other drive. It looks like it's just a windows folder there, nothing else. I did not think to look for hidden files on it. I cannot tell you how it got there, only that the drive was empty after I did the reformat, new installation, installation of web browsers, antivirus, system drivers from the manufacturers website, and libre office.

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that we may never know what really happened. With only a few months until support stops for Windows 7 anyway, at this time, it's probably best to get him new hardware and a Windows 10 setup.

Last edited: