The network mapping that just won't die. MVPs please help ..

Ryan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I have an XP pro machine purchased not too long ago, doesn't appear to be
infected (we have several virus and spyware apps on it) and when the user
opens Windows Explorer he sees many mapped shares that give him a status of
"Disconnected Network Drive" He does have two other shares that work fine
and give a proper status. I believe these map to a different server though.

The "disconnected network drive" shares all seem to point to the same folder
and if he clicks on them he can view the contents of that share. He is
supposed to have a share called \\bdnt4\company that maps to the drive letter
F. Instead he gets f mapping to that folder along with every other letter in
the alphabet after f mapping to that company folder as well. They all say
disconnected.

The F: mapping goes to a company folder share on an SBS 2000 premium server
with sp4, and it has a very large timeout set for network connections as
suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297684
The other two shares that show up fine are mapped to a 2000 terminal server
with sp4, without the timeout increased beyond 15mins.

There are no logon scripts creating these mappings, they were done through
Windows Explorer. Disconnecting in Windows Explorer gives me "The network
connection
could not be found" If I try to remap I get "The local device name is
already in use"

I've also tried many variations of the net use commands and have even used
net use * /delete which has no affect on the disconnected mappings.
Trying to use net use to delete the individual shares just says:
The network connection could not be found.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2250

Reconnecting via net use gives me:
System error 85 has occured
The local device name is already in use

I've seen many others with the same or very similar issue and all solutions
(if they actually worked for anyone) haven't had a positive effect for me.
Others have also noticed this happening to shares that no longer exist. In
my case they do exist, and this "disconnected network drive" issue occurs
while logged on as that user or as the domain admin.

This has only been happening recently. Last friday the disconnected network
share f: also replicated to x,y,and z. Now its every letter in the alphabet
after f. This is happening on a new PC purchased a not that long ago and it
has automatic updates enabled (thought that may be of interest since I've
read that others believe it to be caused by an Xp update)

I have also looked at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318370 (this share
allows more than one user to connect at a time and the server has sp4
already)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812933 (already
have sp4 with latest updates on server and xp2 with all latest updates on the
xp pro machine)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283492 (connecting
to a 2000 share, not 95/98, and I have the passwords set up in Xp Stored User
Names and Passwords)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172975 (Not using
Banyan Vines)

Besides having many annoying disconnected shares mapping to the same folder,
this disconnect status is giving the user some problems when accessing that
share from apps like Autocad. I've read that some apps won't access a shared
folder unless its status is basically fully connected, and I believe that
the "disconnected network drive" status is why he's having problems accessing
his data from some apps.

I don't want any help saying to create some logon scripts, especially with
net use commands because net use commands aren't doing anything for me, and
yes, I have rebooted after every change so this won't be fixed by a simple
reboot.

I've also removed the mapping values for this folder in several places
within the registry and yet its still there after a reboot, whereas on any
other xp machine not affected by this bug, removing the registry keys for
this mapping would also remove the mapped drive. So... Can anyone help me?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

Ewido Security Suite Trial version

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
I can analyze it. Ignore anyone especially the troll Leythos, who will tag
along a nonsense post to this message, who tells you to post it elsewhere. I
need to see it not them. You will probably have to post a log on this one go
ahead and post it.

HijackThis

The authors of the above programs, with the exception of Microsoft has given
the owner of pcbutts1.com express written permission to redistribute their
software.

In article <QWFTe.841$zq6.609@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Since you were nice enough to ask me to respond butts:

Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
of non-vendor site (such as a personal website hosting files) you have
no guarantee that the files are unmodified or uncompromised. Anyone
providing a link to a non-vendors site with a direct download should not
be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest place to download their
application.

Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
at them.

Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

AdAwareSE can be found here:

SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
from here:
http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
admitted to in this group.

When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.

If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:

Only download files from Trusted Sites.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

You are obsessed with me, You are Stalking me. Stop Stalking me. You need
help. Get help.

> In article <QWFTe.841$zq6.609@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, pcbutts1
> @seedsv.com says...
>> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>
> Since you were nice enough to ask me to respond butts:
>
> Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
> of non-vendor site (such as a personal website hosting files) you have
> no guarantee that the files are unmodified or uncompromised. Anyone
> providing a link to a non-vendors site with a direct download should not
> be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest place to download their
> application.
>
> Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
> that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
> at them.
>
> Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
>
> AdAwareSE can be found here:
> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>
> SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
> Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
> http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
>
> You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
> from here:
> http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
>
> Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>
> These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
> name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
> get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
> admitted to in this group.
>
> When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
> in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.
>
> If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:
>
> Only download files from Trusted Sites.
>

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Read the subject the OP used, and respond accordingly. "MVPs please help
me..." You are not one. Please don't respond to posts that are specific
who they would like a response from. Again, Hijack this logs are NOT
welcome here. As long as you continue to ask they be posted, you will be
told not to.

Have a nice day. Don't forget to do your homework now.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> You are obsessed with me, You are Stalking me. Stop Stalking me. You need
> help. Get help.

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <QWFTe.841$zq6.609@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>, pcbutts1
>> @seedsv.com says...
>>> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>>
>> Since you were nice enough to ask me to respond butts:
>>
>> Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
>> of non-vendor site (such as a personal website hosting files) you have
>> no guarantee that the files are unmodified or uncompromised. Anyone
>> providing a link to a non-vendors site with a direct download should not
>> be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest place to download their
>> application.
>>
>> Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
>> that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
>> at them.
>>
>> Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
>>
>> AdAwareSE can be found here:
>> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>>
>> SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>>
>> Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
>> http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
>>
>> You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
>> from here:
>> http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
>>
>> Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
>> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>>
>> These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
>> name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
>> get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
>> admitted to in this group.
>>
>> When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
>> in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.
>>
>> If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:
>>
>> Only download files from Trusted Sites.
>>

>> --
>>
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

Ryan <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

[X-Posting w/o F'up2 trimmed]

> I have an XP pro machine purchased not too long ago, doesn't appear to
> be infected (we have several virus and spyware apps on it) and when the
> user opens Windows Explorer he sees many mapped shares that give him a
> status of "Disconnected Network Drive" He does have two other shares
> that work fine and give a proper status.

Try the following:

1. Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Search for Network
Folders and Printers automatically (translated) > tick.

2. Start > Run: GPEDIT.MSC
Computer Configuration > Administrative Tools > System > Logon >
Wait for the network at logon and restart (translated) > activate.

--
d-d

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Unless there's a reason not to, I would log on as Administrator and locate
and delete or move the user profile and have the user log in and create a
new profile. I'd bet on profile corruption over any other possible cause.

> [...]
> accessing
> his data from some apps.
>
> I don't want any help saying to create some logon scripts, especially with
> net use commands because net use commands aren't doing anything for me,
> and
> yes, I have rebooted after every change so this won't be fixed by a simple
> reboot.
>
> I've also removed the mapping values for this folder in several places
> within the registry and yet its still there after a reboot, whereas on any
> other xp machine not affected by this bug, removing the registry keys for
> this mapping would also remove the mapped drive. So... Can anyone help
> me?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

In article <#ExM3ABtFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, rgharper@email.com
says...
> Unless there's a reason not to, I would log on as Administrator and locate
> and delete or move the user profile and have the user log in and create a
> new profile. I'd bet on profile corruption over any other possible cause.

With XP + SP2 and users connected to a SBS2003 domain, I've seen this
problem countless times. At the same time running a NET USE * /DELETE as
the domain administrator or local user and then rebooting has fixed it
many times.

This seems to be a new thing with SP2 and was not something I saw before
SP2 - and it's not related to the Sp2 firewall as we disable that
service on every computer.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I have an XP pro machine purchased not too long ago, doesn't appear to be
> infected (we have several virus and spyware apps on it) and when the user
> opens Windows Explorer he sees many mapped shares that give him a status
of
> "Disconnected Network Drive" He does have two other shares that work fine
> and give a proper status. I believe these map to a different server
though.
<snip>

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found this searching on my problem in
google. I had the exact same problem. Brand new computer, just set up. I
tried the same things as you. Finally I was curious to see if I really could
see the server I was "disconnected" from and tried pinging it. Lo and behold
it resolved to the wrong IP address! Something had written an entry in the
hosts file (in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc). A quick removal of that
line fixed that problem.

Brian