Discussion The New 5700g AMD APU Looking Good!

Stumbled onto this review of the 5700g, which is the first I have seen, and I gotta say that I am very impressed! This could be the intermediary for people who can't get ahold of a new GPU. Very curious to see the next iteration when they move on from Vega.

Fast forward to 4 minute mark
5700G
B550 Gamin Plus Mobo
2 x 16 gig ram @ 3600

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-x7d48V51E
Yes, great APU, 5000 series Ryzen with very decent graphics. If my GPU would die now I would just switch to 5700g because of those crazy GPU prices.
Actually I might do that anyway as I'm more dependent on CPU than on GPU.

Looks like GN did this test with the 5600g, skip to 16:30 and it pegs to about 3700x level.
Thank you, a bit disappointing with 3000 series level of performance.

I don't see disappointment in a 6 core/12 thread part matching performance with an 8 core/16 thread part of the prior generation.

These seem to fill the gap left in a Zen 3 lineup with no "5600" or "5700X" parts.... with the inclusion of a useable iGPU.

Last edited:

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
I don't see disappointment in a 6 core/12 thread part matching performance with an 8 core/16 thread part of the prior generation.

These seem to fill the gap left in a Zen 3 lineup with no "5600" or "5700X" parts.... with the inclusion of a useable iGPU.
The argument that the 5600G is matching the performance of last gen's 8-core chip is highly misleading. Yes, it does so in GAMING. Yet again, you can equally say that the 5600G is matching the performance of the 3600X as that too has the same gaming performance as the 3700X. Now, in PRODUCTIVITY, the 5600G is behaving like a 3600X and is far behind the 3700X.

So, yeah, you get last gen level of cpu performance core for core. And in addition you get an iGPU that at best is comparable with a GT1030 DDR5 (even then the GT1030 often wins by a large margin). As far as I am concerned this chip is only good for NUCs.

That benchmark excludes the 3600X which is so close to the 3700X for gaming. So from a gaming perspective you can compare it to a prior gen 6 core 12 thread.

Reactions: CountMike
That benchmark excludes the 3600X which is so close to the 3700X for gaming. So from a gaming perspective you can compare it to a prior gen 6 core 12 thread.
In relation to the rest of the 5000 series CPU's it's definitely being hurt by the lack of L3 cache. But it's 45/65W TDP rating is also a major hindrance. I'm not suggesting it will fare any better than the other Gen 3 CPU's with all-core overclocks (I hope we find out, though) but I do wonder how it will perform under a properly tweaked PBO overclock. It will never be a 5800X but it should overcome TDP limitations at least and let it perform much better in productivity.

But productivity is, arguably, not it's raison d'tre anyway, and it's not really a NUC-only product. A lot of people are clamoring for throw-away cheap entry level gaming GPU's for their builds so they can drop in a premium GPU when the prices are reasonable again. This is perfect for that since a 3700X is more than good enough for quality gaming, even if that's the only comparison point, and it's a good deal cheaper than a 5600X/1030 combo. If you can find either...which brings up the still to be answered question of availability of this part too.