The Nextbit Robin 'Cloud' Smartphone, Hands On (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
So I'll download apps, and then the phone will un-download apps and then when I want to use them I'll have to re-download then. Brilliant. Who came up with this?

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

You didn't get it.
You install the app, configure and use it. You keep doing that until you run out of your 32GB of internal storage. Then the phone will pick the least used apps and archive them to the 100GB cloud, so you can have space for more apps and stuff. When you decide to use one of those archived apps the phone re-donwloads it just like it was before archiving, fully configured.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

Oh I understand it perfectly. Actually no, I don't understand it.

"Least used apps"
Any app that doesn't get used is uninstalled. So my least used apps are still getting used at least once every two days. If it removes 2 1.5 GB apps, it'll hit you with the data charges, and the time, to re-download them. I don't see how this helps.

cschodt

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

It only archives the apps when on wifi and power. Removing them to clear space doesn't take any data, and it makes clear which apps have been archived by graying them out. It also warns you about data usage if you try to re-install one of them when not on wifi.

If you have filled a phone with 32 GB of apps, all of which you use daily, then yes, this would not work for you.

mrmez

Splendid
It could be a clever trick depending on how it's implemented.

Instead of saying "Not enough space to install this app, go fk yourself"
If it said "Not enough space, would you like to archive [insert app name here]?"
That would be handy.

mrmez

Splendid
Nothing is immune, but you're far more likely to lose your phone than have a cloud service lose your data.

And IRL, very few people plug their phone into a computer and sync it every day.
A good phone/service will sync and backup all data automatically every day.

mrmez

Splendid
20Gb is a LOT for apps, but still... better too much than too little.

I can't do without the Apple cloud service these days.
Apart from automatic backups, syncing data across my phone, ipad, and macs is awesome.
It's great taking a photo on my phone, then moments later finding it on my ipad and mac.
Add contacts, documents etc to the mix and the cloud is compelling.
Biggest by far is messages (sms and imessage). It's seamless between all devices, weather they have a sim card or not.

jaytronics

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Ok so, I hope that this company and all who invested in it lose their money. Trusting mostly in the cloud is technically one of the most irresponsible things any one could do. Does it have a place. Yes, and it is obvious. But there are just some things that should never be put on the cloud. Or even go through the tunnels of the internet as well. Take the IRS for instance. They use "out dated equipment" Out dated is subjective like anything. Using one way modems is a smart thing to do. Any way, chose to put your whole life online and at some point, you will in fact watch it all go by by. Especially if you do not backup at home. And do not for one second believe that any cloud provider gives a single ounce of crap for those that use free storage space. If it gets lost and their backups get lost. You will not have a leg to stand on when it comes to making a claim of any sort. Paying customers? You might have some protection. Maybe. But, once something is gone, it is gone. So, the point is, do not be a dope and put your trust in any company. They are out to do one thing and one thing only. Take your money. And, data.

Status
Not open for further replies.