The Nintendo Revolution

Does anyone have any clue what is going on with this system? I have looked
and looked and found nothing for information on it. I know that you can
play the gamecube games and are suppose to be able to download the old NES
SNES and 64 libraries. But what kind of controller is it going to use. And
how much are downloads suppose to be?

--
Out of the cool night air came the great Neapolitan Mastiff.

This pretty much sums up what we know right now:

Codename: Nintendo Revolution
Controllers : Wireless Broadcom Controllers (probably 4)
Flash Memory : 512MB (SD Card Expandable)
Graphics Processor : ATI "Hollywood" GPU
Game Media Format : 12 Centimeter Optical Disks
Other I/O (Input/Output) Connectors : 2 x USB 2.0 , SD Card Slot
Video Output: Can interface with a TV or Computer monitor
Highest Resolution: 480p Progressive Scan (It's like between SD and HD)
Processor : "IBM Broadway" CPU
Memory : Unknown amount supplied by Mosys (expect 1T-SRAM, it's their
specialty)
Media Drive : 12 Centimeter Optical Discs (same format as GCN), 3"
Discs, 1.5GB, by Matsushita
Performance : Quick Start Up and Quiet
Size : The size of 3 DVD cases stuck together
Networking : Built in WiFi (802.11b/g)

Release is sometime in 2006.
Prototype shown is larger than final unit.
Nintendo is still determining final colors for the console.
All-Access Gaming, which refers to backwards compatibility to 20 years
of Nintendo games, NES, SNES, N64. We don't know particulars of how
it'll be accessed or what, if any, the cost structure might be.
Downloadable to 512MB of flash memory.
Two USB 2.0 ports (which could be used for more flash mem xD).
Fyi, 2 GB cards ($100 US) are out and they're working on 4 GB.
Built-in WiFi card.
Will have a separate adaptor for ethernet
WiFi used to interface with the DS.
DS likely to enhance future games.
Self-loading optical drive that will play 12cm Revolution discs and
smaller GameCube discs
Self-contained attachment for playing media content, including DVDs.

Several key franchises have been confirmed for launch: Super Mario 128,
Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Sequel (online), Final Fantasy
Crystal Chronicles Online

A new Zelda (not Twilight Princess) is also in the works for Revolution

"robert rennie" <RRennie@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any clue what is going on with this system? I have looked
> and looked and found nothing for information on it. I know that you can
> play the gamecube games and are suppose to be able to download the old NES
> SNES and 64 libraries. But what kind of controller is it going to use. And
> how much are downloads suppose to be?

They haven't released any information about the controller, other than that
it's supposed to be revolutionary (hence the name of the system), and they
haven't released pricing for the old game libraries yet.

In general, very little is known about it at this point. There have been
some encouraging comments from developers lately, but of course they are
under Non-Disclosure Agreements and cannot give out any details.

ME

"robert rennie" <RRennie@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:CnkOe.31838$Oy2.15754@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Does anyone have any clue what is going on with this system? I have looked
> and looked and found nothing for information on it. I know that you can
> play the gamecube games and are suppose to be able to download the old NES
> SNES and 64 libraries. But what kind of controller is it going to use. And
> how much are downloads suppose to be?

I don't think any of what you said has been officially stated by Nintendo
that they will actually do all that.

So no one knows what is going on really. Ok I am ready for them to at least
say that its coming or not going to come. And here is what its going to
have. I knew they would push Zelda back as a lunch title and think its a
smart move on their part.
"El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
> "robert rennie" <RRennie@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone have any clue what is going on with this system? I have
looked
> > and looked and found nothing for information on it. I know that you can
> > play the gamecube games and are suppose to be able to download the old
NES
> > SNES and 64 libraries. But what kind of controller is it going to use.
And
> > how much are downloads suppose to be?
>
> They haven't released any information about the controller, other than
that
> it's supposed to be revolutionary (hence the name of the system), and they
> haven't released pricing for the old game libraries yet.
>
> In general, very little is known about it at this point. There have been
> some encouraging comments from developers lately, but of course they are
> under Non-Disclosure Agreements and cannot give out any details.

The revolution conroller is a force feedback device that is shaped like
a pod. Where your fingers fall on the pod (all 10 of them) there are
buttons - every thing is in it's natural place. In the middle of the pod
is a joystick although this isn't actually nescessary to play games it's
just an option. The controller has incredibly powerful forcefeedback.
You can feel it very strongly. It is like being attached to a giant
invisible machine.