News The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070: RTX 2080 Ti Performance at $499

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
We also don't know if the RTX 3070 will use the same GA103 chip as the RTX 3080, only with fewer SMs and memory channels enabled, or if it's a completely separate chip. It doesn't really matter, as either way you would get the same performance.
It does matter as partially-disabled higher tier chips tend to have better actual performance and worse energy efficiency compared lower tier solutions even with equal marketed performance.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
While I love new tech, this is sure a kick in the nuts for those of us that bought a 2080 Ti. Shelling out $1800 CAD for one really hurt, but was pretty much a necessity for those of us running 4K screens or high end VR.

Glad they have something powerful again in the mid/upper price range.

Reactions: AtrociKitty

Makaveli

Splendid
While I love new tech, this is sure a kick in the nuts for those of us that bought a 2080 Ti. Shelling out $1800 CAD for one really hurt, but was pretty much a necessity for those of us running 4K screens or high end VR.

That is why you don't buy halo products.

I've already seeing people trying to off load 2080ti on reddit.

Reactions: Soaptrail

InvalidError

Titan
I've already seeing people trying to off load 2080ti on reddit.
This is the typical high-end cycle for people who want the high-end stuff but cannot afford the depreciation.

With Nvidia surprising most people by doubling performance per dollar across most of the board this time around, the used and older-gen markets should see shake-ups like they haven't had in a very long time.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
This is the typical high-end cycle for people who want the high-end stuff but cannot afford the depreciation.

With Nvidia surprising most people by doubling performance per dollar across most of the board this time around, the used and older-gen markets should see shake-ups like they haven't had in a very long time.

Imagine the RTX 3060 be RTX 2080 ti performance ? Nvidia surprised me this time (outside the RTX 3090 which is not worth the money with 3080 around) ...

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

I learned from my previous mistake and avoid buying halo products, especially when it is the latest generation. In this case, RTX 2080 Ti owners get burned particularly bad because Nvidia is selling a mid range card that outperforms a previous flagship that cost a bomb. As an owner of a GTX 1080 Ti which I bought after the release of RTX 2080 Ti, I got the card really cheap. So even though the 2080 is faster than the 1080 Ti, it was still an expensive card. In this case, the RTX 2080 Ti is now competing with a 3070 that is 500 bucks, when the RTX 2080 Ti costs more than double brand new. In fact at this point, I suppose most will only consider a RTX 2080 Ti if it is not more than 600 bucks in the resale market. Whether its slower or not, I feel the extra 3GB of VRAM may be useful from time to time.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I dont think that AMD can compete against 20 and 30 tflops cards ...

Hard to see how AMD can deliver a GPU twice as fast as the ones in the next-gen consoles, given how both Sony and Microsoft have run into heat problems. A reasonable expectation is that the next flagship will be 50% faster than the RX5700 XT. That's what, 15 tflops or so? It'll have a rough time competing with the 3060.

Meanwhile, Xe HPG is getting blown out of the water before it even hit the water :p

Last edited:
Rtx 3090..... just had along talk with the kids as to why Santa won't be coming this Christmas.....:ROFLMAO:

But seriously I will wait for Big Navi, reviews, bios/driver issues being sorted etc before I pull the trigger. Probably a 3080 but before that the 4000 Ryzen series will be out to go in my Crosshair x570.... that paired with a RTX 3000 series could be pretty awesome.

Until all the interesting stuff is out between now and Christmas I feel no need to rush. Just imagine you bought a brand new 2080ti for 1200-1300€ last month, tears all the way.

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hard to see how AMD can deliver a GPU twice as fast as the ones in the next-gen consoles, given how both Sony and Microsoft have run into heat problems. A reasonable expectation is that the next flagship will be 50% faster than the RX5700 XT. That's what, 15 tflops or so? It'll have a rough time competing with the 3060.

Meanwhile, Xe HPG is getting blown out of the water before it even hit the water :p

Intel Claims their Xe HPG can deliver 10.6 Tflops per tile ...

I think Intel can compete against Nvidia like this

1- Entry level card (1 tile GPU), 10.6 Tflops ($300) ,
2- Mid Range 2 tiles GPU , 21.2 Tflops ($600) ,
3- High end 3 tiles GPU , 31.8 Tflops ($800)
4- Flaghship with 4 Tiles GPU , and 42.6 tflops ($1600)

Intel Tiles is a smarter way than SLI/Cross fire !!!

Comparing Tflop numbers between totally different architectures is a bit nonsensical, since it's a measure of compute performance, not gaming graphics performance. Those numbers get thrown around a lot in marketing, but you can't really make meaningful comparisons from them outside of cards from the same generation of hardware. And since none of these architectures are out yet, it's hard to say exactly how the "Tflop to gaming performance ratio" will compare between them.

Supposedly, Big Navi is rumored to have double the cores of a 5700 XT. Combined with the architectural and process improvements of RDNA2, it might not be too far-fetched to see a doubling of performance over that card. Keep in mind, a 2080 Ti is only around 50% more powerful than a 5700 XT. So, significantly higher performance that's closer to a 3080 could very well happen with AMD's top-end card. And of course, it's hard to say how AMD's implementation of raytracing will compare in terms of performance. It could be better, it could be worse, who knows? There are too many unknowns at this time. Ask yourself though, if Nvidia felt AMD (or Intel) wasn't going to be competitive with their higher-end cards, why did they price this generation so aggressively?

As for the consoles, they tend to be packed into a more compact case than a typical gaming PC, so a PC form-factor opens up more options for cooling. And perhaps more importantly, the consoles are using an APU, with both the CPU and GPU on a single chip. That undoubtedly results in greater thermal limitations than when those components are cooled separately.

Makaveli

Splendid
By looking at the new consoles rating at 12 TFlops only ...

Older Gen AMD console rated at 6 Tflops while their flag ship cards rated around 9 Tflops only of the same Gen.

I expect AMD Flagship to max out less than 20 Tflops ...

Console GPU ≠ PC GPU

You have no idea what AMD has planned for Big Navi.

Rating videocards based on tflops is alone is flawed, that metric alone does not tell you how it will perform for everything.

The 2080 super is 11.1 Tflops

The Radeon VII is 13.8 Tflops

Can you guess which one is faster?

InvalidError

Titan
Comparing Tflop numbers between totally different architectures is a bit nonsensical, since it's a measure of compute performance, not gaming graphics performance.
Graphics rendering is math and the very reason GPUs are particularly well suited for many types of scientific computing. Regardless of brand or architecture, the sort of math required to transform geometry, map textures on a polygon, apply lighting and run shaders is fundamentally the same by necessity, which is why you cannot patent math.

The performance may not be exactly 1:1 due to variations in how different manufacturers design things but for the most part, it is close enough.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've got to admit, if the reviews verify this performance, then it looks like Nvidia has somewhat learned from the backlash of Turing.

I am very impressed with the potential performance here, and think Nvidia has really given AMD a run for its money - Big Navi has its work cut out for it.

It'll also be fascinating to see how performance shakes out for the 3060 and 3050 cards, and what this will mean for AMD.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
q
Console GPU ≠ PC GPU

You have no idea what AMD has planned for Big Navi.

Rating videocards based on tflops is alone is flawed, that metric alone does not tell you how it will perform for everything.

The 2080 super is 11.1 Tflops

The Radeon VII is 13.8 Tflops

Can you guess which one is faster?

I never said that TFlops translates into FPS , I was speaking about AMD cant reach 20 TFlops. thats all .

The performance may not be exactly 1:1 due to variations in how different manufacturers design things but for the most part, it is close enough.
Not really. As a good example, look at AMD's RX 580 compared to the GTX 1060, two cards that typically offer rather similar gaming performance on average. However, the RX 580 is around a 6.1 Tflop card in terms of FP32 performance, while the 1060 is around a 4.3 Tflop card. The RX 580 offers around 40% more FP32 compute performance, roughly on par with a GTX 1070, but that does not directly translate to typical gaming performance. That's a huge margin of difference, not at all what I would consider "close enough".

Likewise, look at what Nvidia had to say about the performance of these new cards. Going by quotes from the other article here...

In terms of performance, Nvidia claims that the GeForce RTX 3090 is up to 50% faster than the Titan RTX.
Nvidia touts the GeForce RTX 3080 as the flagship Ampere SKU. The chipmaker is promising up to double the performance over the previous GeForce RTX 2080.

Hmm... Let's look again at those Tflop numbers provided for the cards.

RTX 2080 = 10 Tflops
RTX 3080 = 30 Tflops

Titan RTX = 16 Tflops
RTX 3090 = 36 Tflops

So apparently, going from 10 to 30 Tflops only makes the 3080 "up to double the performance" of the 2080. And going from 16 to 36 Tflops only makes the 3090 "up to 50% faster" than the Titan RTX. If the "Tflop to gaming performance ratio" were similar, then the 3080 would be considered a 20 Tflop card, and the 3090 would be a 24 Tflop card, at least going by Nvidia's performance claims.

What this means, is that the actual gaming performance is likely around 33% lower than what these high Tflop numbers might imply. That would make the 3070's "20 Tflops" roughly comparable to the 13.5 Tflops of a 2080 Ti. That's still a good generational improvement, likely offering over 40% more performance than the 2070 SUPER currently available at that price point, but certainly not the more-than-doubling of performance that the Tflop number alone would suggest.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinay2070

I bet and its vindication to us that decided to skip last generation. What may hurt worse is Navi is fairly competitive you may see some further price drops from Nvidia. I know I am waiting until Navi lands to purchase a new GPU.