the nvidia gtx 1070.....compatible?

Solution
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Is-it-possible-to-connect-dual-monitors-on-HP-Slimline-260/td-p/5934012

''It may be difficult to find a card that will work. FYI the BIOS in the motherboard is UEFI, not legacy.'' [I think hes backwards on that its hard to find the latest cards like a NVidia 10 series that will work on some legacy bios boards ]

but the same point

notice they give CPU upgrade info but nothing for GPU at all ?? hmmmmm...... like they don't even recommend one them selves to be used ???

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05140585

that's not true at all that a proprietary prebuilt board and proprietary bios from HP .. just because its got a pci-e slot don't mean tthat will take any card

in the end any upgrade you do is all your own risk . the prebuilt manufactures only guarantees there computers work as sold to you as is out of the box from there factory with what they put on it , not a drop more

there in business to sell you whole ready to go computers , and dont worry about you upgrading them or giving you support to do so . thats not how they make there money they prefer you run to wal-mart and buy there ''better'' latest models

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Is-it-possible-to-connect-dual-monitors-on-HP-Slimline-260/td-p/5934012

''It may be difficult to find a card that will work. FYI the BIOS in the motherboard is UEFI, not legacy.'' [I think hes backwards on that its hard to find the latest cards like a NVidia 10 series that will work on some legacy bios boards ]

but the same point

notice they give CPU upgrade info but nothing for GPU at all ?? hmmmmm...... like they don't even recommend one them selves to be used ???

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05140585

Solution

frostedtim

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

You are right. I didnt actually look at the machine it was supposed to go into.

The motherboard in question, might have the appropriate slot, but even if it did, the proprietary case that HP built this into will not fit the GTX 1070 card.

Sorry, Bottlewage.

frostedtim

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

I dont think the OP would mind having the integrated graphics turned off if he could install a better GPU. But the layout of machines like this dont really allow for a card the size of a GTX1070. Based on the first link you provided, they talk like it is possible to put in a third party graphics card, but it may need to be a smaller card with a low profile bracket. I cant seem to find any pics of the internals to confirm this though.

even if a full size / desktop you just don't know what HP allows in there bios support of anything may work then may not at all that's all on you unless you find proof positive on that model and card or your the guinney pigger on that and fingers crossed

my disclaimer

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' / legacy or uefi bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that won't post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers there only guaranteed to work as is out of the box as you bought it ,..

also these boards do not have to meet atx standards and there pci-e slot power may not do the required 75w needed for most higher end cards and can be limited to say 45 or 60w that is all thats needed with the low end factory oem cards that it may of shipped with
[example]
http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/1030.DESKTOP.jpg

in the end any upgrade you do is all your own risk . the prebuilt manufactures only guarantees there computers work as sold to you as is out of the box from there factory with what they put on it , not a drop more

there in business to sell you whole ready to go computers , and dont worry about you upgrading them or giving you support to do so . thats not how they make there money they prefer you run to wal-mart and buy there ''better'' latest models

frostedtim

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

I hear what you are saying, and on its face looks logical, but for the most part is BS. Ive worked with Dell and HP workstations both in corporate settings and retail boxes purchased from big box stores. Manufacturers will simply void the warranty if you mod things in a way that they dont support. Both Dell and HP allow customers to update bios/firmware. Sure they may have compatibility issues with some third party components, and may even lock down bios' in the past. But this is a gen six Intel Core i processor: A dual core Skylake model. This isnt a "Legacy" system. This is less than two years old.

I may have made an erroneous call in my initial response to the OP, but I was wrong because I did not take the physical characteristics of the PC into account.

HP doesnt need to lock users out by default. Both them and Dell do give clients the option to lock down their bios, which every IT department I have ever worked for has used. Even retail models do this. You get a big warning in the User Manual.

What the OP needs to know is that he got an economy class PC that wasnt really built to allow large video cards for gaming. The case design is internally arranged to pack in all the intended components with as little headroom left available.

sad thing is dell and hp workstations do better then desktops on card upgrades far better I guess cause your going to get or comes with a firepro or Quattro card in them so there more open to upgrades , but still all they guarantee is what the authorize for them .

I deal with them ''walmart '' computers here and folks want a gaming rig from them and find its not as they think to do so $$$

Bottlewage

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

jesus, i didnt know there was a full blown discussion! but, i do have 2 options. i have 1 computer, which i assembled it myslef. then i have another discussion where someone actually picked out parts! of course, my settup cost less, but the other one is wayy better

frostedtim

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

All they will support is the configuration that they sold to you. They wont tell you "no, you can not swap out the FirePro card that they sold you for a Quadro card that you purchased from a third party." If you call for support, they may tell you that this is not the supported configuration and will not continue until the original configuration is restored, or on the outside, the could just void the warranty.

Those "Walmart" Computers may be budget built, to be sold at budget prices, but all the manufacturer has to do is support the initial configuration that the warranty covers. They dont tend to, at least not in the last few years, lock you out of the bios and impose hard restrictions on what components you can add in. It costs the manufacturers more to create and impose such limits, when instead they can again just simply say it isnt supported. If you can get an add in card in, and it works, great! Swap in a SSD to replace an HDD, wonderful, but its not the part that came with what you were sold, will not provided technical assistance or warranty coverage for it.

HP and Dell workstations may have more or even better upgrade options, but you also pay for that.

frostedtim

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Sorry if we are rattling on here. I assure you we are both trying to be helpful.

I you have the option of a different case or motherboard, heck even a system with just different parts, that is probably better than the HP 260-p009 from your initial post.

Bottlewage

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

umm, i was talking about a new computer?