The Old Republic's New Trailer Shows Old Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release a non-MMO version, then I'll be interested. Not saying they didn't do a great job with this (in fact since they did a good job it is even more painful), but MMO's and their pay scheme just aren't my thing.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
n[citation][nom]EXT64[/nom]Release a non-MMO version, then I'll be interested. Not saying they didn't do a great job with this (in fact since they did a good job it is even more painful), but MMO's and their pay scheme just aren't my thing.[/citation]

not your thing?you mean..getting to play a game you enjoy for years to come with new content on a regular basis with your friends..yeah sounds crap doesnt it.
oh wait..no..mmo's need a pay structure to help the game survive. i played the old versions of this game on xbox..and once i completed it..it collected a nice amount of dust..

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I agree, I would prefer a non-mmo. I understand that mmo's need a pay structure and that is fine, however, I don't like to pay. That is my own personal preference. Also, my attention span isn't long enough to play the same game for weeks and weeks. I usually tank through about half an RPG, then I won't finish it for another year.

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I also don't like the rental payments on an MMO, but this is tempting. My problem is I only have time to play infrequently, so not sure if I can justify spending ~$12 per month and only be able to play 3-4 hours in that time frame.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have found that strong story lines are hard to come by in MMORPGs. There is too much emphasis on balancing and not enough backstory and engaging content for the most part.

On a different note, who let the dark elf into old republic?

FattyBeef

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It isnt an MMO. Its an RPG with multi player stuff built in that will generate a huge pile of money in reoccuring revenue.

8 classes. 8 story lines. 30 hours (judging by ME2 and DA:O) about 8 months of game play unless youre in college then maybe only 4.

$60.00 out of the box, assume $15.00/month = $200.00 for what we are assuming are the single player arcs in the first 3 quarters after release. Throw in the stupid micro transactions they are going to offer and maxing out character levels and you have one real big pile of money...

Real big... the Joker lighting it on fire big...

benfea

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I can see not wanting to play MMORPGs because they are inherently designed to be far more addictive than other kinds of games. I can see not wanting to play MMORPGs because they are by their nature highly repetitive. I can see not wanting to play MMORPGs because that means playing alongside random strangers, most of whom are jerks.

But not wanting to play MMORPGs just because of the pricing structure is simply silly. The volume of content delivered by a typical MMORPG simply dwarfs the quantity of content in a standalone game, and most MMORPGs continue delivering new content after the game is released (and I am not referring to expansion packs). The monthly fee is more than justified as you are getting your money's worth out of the deal.

A good MMORPG will interest you for a year or two. During that time, you will be buying far fewer other games, so the cost really works out to be similar to what you are already paying, unless you are a very casual gamer.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
What a surprise, the actual gameplay still looks "stop-go", clunky and unappealing. Extremely disappointed, I will probably not buy this. The original trailer definitely got my attention, as did the subsequent one, but the actual gameplay footage just doesn't live up to the hype. Good try BioWare, I guess.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]EXT64[/nom]Release a non-MMO version, then I'll be interested. Not saying they didn't do a great job with this (in fact since they did a good job it is even more painful), but MMO's and their pay scheme just aren't my thing.[/citation]

No kidding... I still don't accept the idea of repeatedly "paying rent" for something I had to buy off the shelf to begin with.

Seeing games like WOW look interesting, although I reject the business model.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]EXT64[/nom]Release a non-MMO version, then I'll be interested. Not saying they didn't do a great job with this (in fact since they did a good job it is even more painful), but MMO's and their pay scheme just aren't my thing.[/citation]

I was about to say the same thing.I love kotor and I hate that they just had to go and make they're next iteration an MMO...Yes...it hurts a lot, because it actually looks like a really good game.

partytime

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
[citation][nom]benfea[/nom]I can see not wanting to play MMORPGs because they are inherently designed to be far more addictive than other kinds of games. I can see not wanting to play MMORPGs because they are by their nature highly repetitive. I can see not wanting to play MMORPGs because that means playing alongside random strangers, most of whom are jerks.But not wanting to play MMORPGs just because of the pricing structure is simply silly. The volume of content delivered by a typical MMORPG simply dwarfs the quantity of content in a standalone game, and most MMORPGs continue delivering new content after the game is released (and I am not referring to expansion packs). The monthly fee is more than justified as you are getting your money's worth out of the deal.A good MMORPG will interest you for a year or two. During that time, you will be buying far fewer other games, so the cost really works out to be similar to what you are already paying, unless you are a very casual gamer.[/citation]

Dude, whatever you need to tell yourself to justify it...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I know my comment will go unheard, but to all those who don't lile MMO's simpy because they have to "pay to play", let me tell you this... again : World of Warcraft, as an example, costs between 13-15$ a month to play, depending on your payment plan. I bought, played and enjoyed Mafia II earlier this month. 60$ for what... 20 hours? I'm not saying it's a ripoff, it's a great game. But saying that paying a fixed amount per month for hours of enjoyment, provided you like the game, is a bad business model is plain stupid.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I know my comment will go unheard, but to all those who don't lile MMO's simpy because they have to "pay to play", let me tell you this... again : World of Warcraft, as an example, costs between 13-15$ a month to play, depending on your payment plan. I bought, played and enjoyed Mafia II earlier this month. 60$ for what... 20 hours? I'm not saying it's a ripoff, it's a great game. But saying that paying a fixed amount per month for hours of enjoyment, provided you like the game, is a bad business model is plain stupid.[/citation]

exactly..jeez..i've spent so much on games recently that i've played less than 4hours.. i've played wow for god knows..(i'll check tonight).
yeah..i've spent loads of cash on it, have i got value for money?probably not but i've enjoyed it. last game i've spent a large amount of time on was FF7 on ps1.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]Sigh...MMO...biggest disappointment when i heard a while back. PLEASE MAKE A NON MMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DIDNT PLAY WoW FOR A REASON!!!![/citation]
AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!! THEY SOULD DO THE GAME I WANT THE WAY I WANT! I'M PROBABLY BROKE BUT BUSINESSES SHOULD LISTEN TO ME CAUSE I SPEAK IN CAPS! I'M IMPORTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT! LISTEN TO MEEEEEEEEEE!

That's you. That's how you sound.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]exactly..jeez..i've spent so much on games recently that i've played less than 4hours.. i've played wow for god knows..(i'll check tonight).yeah..i've spent loads of cash on it, have i got value for money?probably not but i've enjoyed it. last game i've spent a large amount of time on was FF7 on ps1.[/citation]
Just try to do a ratio $/hour and you should have a pretty good idea. I play wow like 30 hours a month, that's about $0,50/hour. Most single player story-driven games (ie. Not multiplayer, racing or sports) last aroud 20 hours. At $60 each, they provide enjoyment for $3,00/hour. It's all relative to the time you put in and the enoyment you get from it. I can understand that's it's not for everyone, but money is really not an issue as long as you like the game.

mr0000000000

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
LOL @ Everyone with the argument of "I don't want to pay rent for my game".

You're probably the same people who will buy a game, beat it within two weeks, and go right back out and happily pay $60 for a game. Yeah, MMOs aren't for everyone, but the monthly fee is not one of those reasons. You pay ~$15 / month and get a game that continually gets more and more content. You'll end up saving money because you wont buy any / as many other games.

Heck, with all of the games going DLC crazy, you're pretty much paying the same or more "rent" for MUCH less content.

Status
Not open for further replies.