The Original EverQuest MMORPG Going Free to Play in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Wow, that's kinda cool. I might check it out just for nostalgia sake. While there's little doubt that my idealistic reflection of the game is naive it'd still be cool just to go back and look at some of the great spots that amazed you the first time around. See if you could still find your way around Qeynos or Kelethin. Heh, yeah no doubt I'll be checking this out.

D

Deleted member 217926

Wow, I actually was a beta tester for this back in 1998. If I remember right it was not long after updating the firmware in my modem to the new V90 56K standard. Come to think of it I really don't miss the "good old days" very much.

neosporinme

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I played EverQuest for about 9 years, until they banned all my accounts. I wonder if it goes Free to Play they will un-ban them......maybe?

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Wow, I spent so much time playing this game, I remember back in 98 or 99 after I quit playing Ultima Online switching to everquest and my computer could barely run it, my friend had a Falcon Northwest computer with this cambridge soundwork 5.1 surround sound and what was a way nice 17 inch monitor and 56k I remember watching him kill orcs in Greater Faydark (spelling?) and it was the coolest game I had ever seen! lol.. Memories, they don't make games like that anymore.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I played EverQuest on my PDA on Windows CE.....oh them PDA days are about as old too. Now we have touch pads!

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I remember playing on a couple friends accounts way back when it 1st came out. Was so jealous back then, considering I didnt have a computer worth crap then. Anyway, Ill be checking this out when it makes it's transition.

Jazzmain

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe DAoC will be F2P soon now..... one can hope because there are no good pvp games out anyways or since DAoC

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I still play EQ on the Progressive Fippy Darkpaw server and it's better than WOW IMHO.

Everquest is probably the main reason i am an Engineer today. Needed to build a decent PC in order to play EQ, learned i was good with computering, stuck with it and still with it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
that pic is from the hive, a serpant spine zone, i forget if the name is something else, because there are 2 zones with hive in it. that whole zone is bees btw

on another note, you are completey useless in the higher end of the game if you are ftp

1-60, my favroite levels, those are doable with the 250 aa limit, any higher than that and you are almost useless to the party you would be in,

5$ a month gets you to level 75

15$ a month and you are set for everything...

they also dont give you the most soloable classes (shadow knight, and mage) for free.

but that level 1-60... best levels in the game, i always hated the higher levels because its no longer about levels and gear, its about how much aa you have, and to be relevant at a high level, be prepared to grind for 6 or so months, not leveling at all... they need to fix the aa system to award you with some aa points every time you level through to level 80 or 85, it wouldnt break the game, but it would speed crap up to get people to the higher levels without the insane grind requirements.

G

I can't wait to re-visit the good old days. I beta tested from late 98 and I was there at early launch. I played until the 10th anniversary. I remember having a lot of fun, meeting a lot of nice people and making good friends. Some of my striking memories are running from Freeport to Qeynos, just after two days from launch to meet up with a friend who decided to start in the other city. Running and avoiding mobs that can smear you for almost 45 minutes with no SoW. As I get to the newbie area of Qeynos, I die to a newbie bear. Ultimate fail but it was ultimate fun. Some other memories are running 72 man raids, and on some occassions involved in two full 72 man raids against content that was deemed undefeatable by Verant/SoE and defeating it. EQ is not a forgiving MMO; levelling is not as easy as SWTOR or WoW, and some content takes a large number of groups fighting in waves to defeat it. Basically, EQ is not for the impulsive yet it offers a very challenging game for those who seek to take it on.

PrimalGecko

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I actually considered contacting SOE to see if I can recover my account (I think I still have the disks somewhere at home), but then I thought better of it and will not. I would like to log my characters in again, but the nostalgia is just that... and the memories are better left as memories.

guzami77

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Seriously, how long has it been since you've played the original EverQuest?

Quit about 9? mo. ago.. but I never let go of the possibility of returning.

Dont hate.. plug inc

For those of you who are going to try this ftp EQ out... Travelers of Norrath on the Saryrn server is currently a casual/family guild recuiting all levels/classes. If anyone is looking for a guild just for chat and people to group with, contact Draysa.

www.tonsaryrn.net

^^ dont lie you miss this type of spam 0.o

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Best MMO ever made until Sony bought it and turned it into a cash cow ruining the best aspects of the game. I miss the old Velious days...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
EQ always been the grand daddy of the mmorpg's in my book. Would love to see it upgraded to todays gfx standards ect, nothing like a 72 peeps raid!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]EQ always been the grand daddy of the mmorpg's in my book. Would love to see it upgraded to todays gfx standards ect, nothing like a 72 peeps raid![/citation]

than finding out that there is a top player who boxes 6 characters and has saved up enough dkp to buy everything in the raid for the next year. yea, thats how a few of the guilds i was in that raided worked, would rather /ran 100 for the loot...

but that's what everquest next is suppose to be, a reboot of eq1 with the things that made eq great in there already... hoping to hear more about it at e3... if the project wasn't canned, though i doubt that would happen.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Sadly, I was deployed in the mid-late 90's so I missed out on a great deal of PC life. I think my first MMO was City of Heroes...which I just installed because that went ftp. It's always fun to be able to go back and reminisce about good times you had in a game and the friends you made.

NEO3

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
tsc tsc tsc
its just another "life waste" game.
The world OUTSIDE is far better than these crappy MMORPG.

G

I have been asking questions about how much additional access (if any) old subscribers that paid for some expansions would expect from them. SOE has responded that there will be absolutely no additional access from expansions that players bought previous to Everquest going free to play. In essence they are saying well we enjoy the money you spent on our product but since you will not (or in most cases can not) pay or afford the $15 a month for the game we are taking away the content from the expansions you paid for.

yieu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I enjoyed this game so much, I created a site asking to bring back the original game through Velious only (classiceqpetition). I last played on the Vulak progression server. The progression servers were a bit better this time, but not quite classic.

Coming out with a classic server would really put the finishing touches on this game's legacy. EverQuest helped shape the MMO gaming market from its early years on. It is strange to see it go free to play; I never did like when they game out with an item shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.