The Outlet's out!

I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and I'm in
the market for a desktop.

Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.

Total.

All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.

Four machines.

Guess the sale is going well!

Tom

Or they are only offering a very limited selection. You have to hold some
inventory in reserve so you can have another "Big Sale Today Only" or "We
Have Too Many Thing-a-ma-bobs. They Have To Go!" sale. Car dealers (a form
of life on a level with lawyers and grave robbers) are famous for this.

> I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and I'm
in
> the market for a desktop.
>
> Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.
>
> Total.
>
> All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.
>
> Four machines.
>
> Guess the sale is going well!
>
> Tom

Aw, I think it was just 'reload' time. I just thought it was funny. It
fluctuates throughout the day. They will have more tomorrow when the day
only sale stops. Can't blame'em.

Tom

> Aw, I think it was just 'reload' time. I just thought it was funny. It
> fluctuates throughout the day. They will have more tomorrow when the day
> only sale stops. Can't blame'em.
>
> Tom

I was up there 3 weeks ago looking specifically for Inspiron 9300's and they
had between 4 and 8 each of the three days I checked :)

I tend to believe what you saw was real. Dell generally doesn't "stock" or
"hold" anything. If they do anything, they move stuff and fast and seem to
have their profits well calculated before any promotion starts.....

If what I've read is accurate, their quarter (fiscal?) ends on July 31st.
May have something to do with it. ?

Stew

When my son got his new laptop and it had problems, they sent a replacement. When it seemed to have the same problem (which turns out wasn't a problem, just a readjustment), I called Dell and asked - since when they get this replacement back, it has to be resold as Refurbished, could I just buy it from them at the Refurbished price - 4 different people told me absolutely not, even tho I told them it would save them time and money not to pay to have it shipped back and then shipped out again......and then one finally gave me a good reason why not. He told me that sure, I could buy it, but it would be coming to me without a warranty, which I could then buy and then the entire cost would have ended up being the same as buying it brand new..........what a shame!
--
Cyndi
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message news:i0UFe.28759$sJ4.3548@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

> > Aw, I think it was just 'reload' time. I just thought it was funny. It
> > fluctuates throughout the day. They will have more tomorrow when the day
> > only sale stops. Can't blame'em.
> >
> > Tom
>

> I was up there 3 weeks ago looking specifically for Inspiron 9300's and they
> had between 4 and 8 each of the three days I checked :)
>
> I tend to believe what you saw was real. Dell generally doesn't "stock" or
> "hold" anything. If they do anything, they move stuff and fast and seem to
> have their profits well calculated before any promotion starts.....
>
> If what I've read is accurate, their quarter (fiscal?) ends on July 31st.
> May have something to do with it. ?
>

> Stew

Think about it. I'm not suggesting this was what you were doing, but there
are people that would:

You buy a new machine and claim a ficticious 'problem'. They send a new
machine and you generously offer to buy the old one at a refurb price. Then
you return the new one!

Tom
"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
When my son got his new laptop and it had problems, they sent a replacement.
When it seemed to have the same problem (which turns out wasn't a problem,
just a readjustment), I called Dell and asked - since when they get this
replacement back, it has to be resold as Refurbished, could I just buy it
from them at the Refurbished price - 4 different people told me absolutely
not, even tho I told them it would save them time and money not to pay to
have it shipped back and then shipped out again......and then one finally
gave me a good reason why not. He told me that sure, I could buy it, but it
would be coming to me without a warranty, which I could then buy and then
the entire cost would have ended up being the same as buying it brand
new..........what a shame!
--
Cyndi
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> > Aw, I think it was just 'reload' time. I just thought it was funny. It
> > fluctuates throughout the day. They will have more tomorrow when the
> > day
> > only sale stops. Can't blame'em.
> >
> > Tom
>

> I was up there 3 weeks ago looking specifically for Inspiron 9300's and
> they
> had between 4 and 8 each of the three days I checked :)
>
> I tend to believe what you saw was real. Dell generally doesn't "stock"
> or
> "hold" anything. If they do anything, they move stuff and fast and seem
> have their profits well calculated before any promotion starts.....
>
> If what I've read is accurate, their quarter (fiscal?) ends on July 31st.
> May have something to do with it. ?
>

> Stew

I guess that makes sense but it wasn't what I was trying to do. I'm talking about 2 computers that were made within days of each other, and we ended up keeping the original one and sending back the newer one.
--
Cyndi
"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:76VFe.21155$iG6.11148@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Think about it. I'm not suggesting this was what you were doing, but there
> are people that would:
>
> You buy a new machine and claim a ficticious 'problem'. They send a new
> machine and you generously offer to buy the old one at a refurb price. Then
> you return the new one!
>
> Tom
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> When my son got his new laptop and it had problems, they sent a replacement.
> When it seemed to have the same problem (which turns out wasn't a problem,
> just a readjustment), I called Dell and asked - since when they get this
> replacement back, it has to be resold as Refurbished, could I just buy it
> from them at the Refurbished price - 4 different people told me absolutely
> not, even tho I told them it would save them time and money not to pay to
> have it shipped back and then shipped out again......and then one finally
> gave me a good reason why not. He told me that sure, I could buy it, but it
> would be coming to me without a warranty, which I could then buy and then
> the entire cost would have ended up being the same as buying it brand
> new..........what a shame!
> --
> Cyndi
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > > Aw, I think it was just 'reload' time. I just thought it was funny. It
> > > fluctuates throughout the day. They will have more tomorrow when the
> > > day
> > > only sale stops. Can't blame'em.
> > >
> > > Tom
> >

> > I was up there 3 weeks ago looking specifically for Inspiron 9300's and
> > they
> > had between 4 and 8 each of the three days I checked :)
> >
> > I tend to believe what you saw was real. Dell generally doesn't "stock"
> > or
> > "hold" anything. If they do anything, they move stuff and fast and seem
> > have their profits well calculated before any promotion starts.....
> >
> > If what I've read is accurate, their quarter (fiscal?) ends on July 31st.
> > May have something to do with it. ?
> >

> > Stew

Sure, I understand that -- it's just Dell has no way of knowing that. And
our world is full of people that.....

> [...]
> >

> > I was up there 3 weeks ago looking specifically for Inspiron 9300's and
> > they
> > had between 4 and 8 each of the three days I checked :)
> >
> > I tend to believe what you saw was real. Dell generally doesn't "stock"
> > or
> > "hold" anything. If they do anything, they move stuff and fast and seem
> > have their profits well calculated before any promotion starts.....
> >
> > If what I've read is accurate, their quarter (fiscal?) ends on July
> > 31st.
> > May have something to do with it. ?
> >

> > Stew

> I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and I'm
> in the market for a desktop.
>
> Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.
>
> Total.
>
> All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.

I saw the same thing last night.

In the last three or four years since I knew about the outlet, I cannot
recall the outlet
not show atleast 100 systems, especially when you select notebooks or
desktops and the
rest all,all,all,all.

I think there was a glitch with the system. This morning there are now 50,
Inspirion 9300's when
there were none last night.

The bummer is I could have use the info last night, not this morning.

moncho

Rob

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:08:43 GMT, "moncho"
<moncho@NOspamAMmeritech.net> wrote:

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and I'm
>> in the market for a desktop.
>>
>> Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.
>>
>> Total.
>>
>> All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.
>>
>> Four machines.
>>
>> Guess the sale is going well!
>>
>> Tom
>
>I saw the same thing last night.
>
>In the last three or four years since I knew about the outlet, I cannot
>recall the outlet
>not show atleast 100 systems, especially when you select notebooks or
>desktops and the
>rest all,all,all,all.
>
>I think there was a glitch with the system. This morning there are now 50,
>Inspirion 9300's when
>there were none last night.
>
>The bummer is I could have use the info last night, not this morning.
>
>moncho

About a year or so ago when I was shopping for a notebook I saw it
happen about 1 or 2 times but it didn't last too long (don't recall
how long tho). After some time, it looked like normal. I thought it
might be due to taking inventory or someone bought a bunch of
notebooks at one time <grin>. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it.

<Rob> wrote in message news:1ddhe1lpo8gjjjmcv6njfido9aliumqt9q@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:08:43 GMT, "moncho"
> <moncho@NOspamAMmeritech.net> wrote:
>

>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and
>>> I'm
>>> in the market for a desktop.
>>>
>>> Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.
>>>
>>> Total.
>>>
>>> All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.
>>>
>>> Four machines.
>>>
>>> Guess the sale is going well!
>>>
>>> Tom
>>
>>I saw the same thing last night.
>>
>>In the last three or four years since I knew about the outlet, I cannot
>>recall the outlet
>>not show atleast 100 systems, especially when you select notebooks or
>>desktops and the
>>rest all,all,all,all.
>>
>>I think there was a glitch with the system. This morning there are now
>>50,
>>Inspirion 9300's when
>>there were none last night.
>>
>>The bummer is I could have use the info last night, not this morning.
>>
>>moncho
>>

> About a year or so ago when I was shopping for a notebook I saw it
> happen about 1 or 2 times but it didn't last too long (don't recall
> how long tho). After some time, it looked like normal. I thought it
> might be due to taking inventory or someone bought a bunch of
> notebooks at one time <grin>. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh I wasn't. Just thought it was interesting!

<Rob> wrote in message news:1ddhe1lpo8gjjjmcv6njfido9aliumqt9q@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:08:43 GMT, "moncho"
> <moncho@NOspamAMmeritech.net> wrote:
>

> >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and
I'm
> >> in the market for a desktop.
> >>
> >> Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.
> >>
> >> Total.
> >>
> >> All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.
> >>
> >> Four machines.
> >>
> >> Guess the sale is going well!
> >>
> >> Tom
> >
> >I saw the same thing last night.
> >
> >In the last three or four years since I knew about the outlet, I cannot
> >recall the outlet
> >not show atleast 100 systems, especially when you select notebooks or
> >desktops and the
> >rest all,all,all,all.
> >
> >I think there was a glitch with the system. This morning there are now
50,
> >Inspirion 9300's when
> >there were none last night.
> >
> >The bummer is I could have use the info last night, not this morning.
> >
> >moncho
> >

> About a year or so ago when I was shopping for a notebook I saw it
> happen about 1 or 2 times but it didn't last too long (don't recall
> how long tho). After some time, it looked like normal. I thought it
> might be due to taking inventory or someone bought a bunch of
> notebooks at one time <grin>. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Kids getting ready for college. Esp notebooks and sff desktops. Ebay prices
up about 25% with lots of bidding on 2-3 year old machines. I know. Was just
looking for one for my daughter.

Howard

Helen

"moncho" <moncho@NOspamAMmeritech.net> wrote in message news:L82Ge.1890$gt5.1290@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...

| "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
| > I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and I'm
| > in the market for a desktop.
| >
| > Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.
| >
| > Total.
| >
| > All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.
| >
| > Four machines.
| >
| > Guess the sale is going well!
| >
| > Tom
|
| I saw the same thing last night.
|
| In the last three or four years since I knew about the outlet, I cannot
| recall the outlet
| not show atleast 100 systems, especially when you select notebooks or
| desktops and the
| rest all,all,all,all.
|
| I think there was a glitch with the system. This morning there are now 50,
| Inspirion 9300's when
| there were none last night.
|
| The bummer is I could have use the info last night, not this morning.
|
| moncho

Re those 'refurbs'....the federal gov't gets rid of loads of them...people
buy them cheap (w/out HD) they resell them...for $$profit... There are
many federal agencies...and they don't all get rid of them at the same time,
but the fiscal year begins on 1 October.... there was an article somewhere
within the past two weeks about some place getting beaucoups of them...
along with lots of other stuff...vcrs, radios, telephones, misc electronic equip...
check out some of those fed govt surplus places...you may be surprised...

"Helen" <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message

"moncho" <moncho@NOspamAMmeritech.net> wrote in message

| "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
| > I've been watching the Outlet today as they're having a good sale and
I'm
| > in the market for a desktop.
| >
| > Right now there are three Dimensions and one Inspiron at the Outlet.
| >
| > Total.
| >
| > All models, all OS, all speed, all, all, all.
| >
| > Four machines.
| >
| > Guess the sale is going well!
| >
| > Tom
|
| I saw the same thing last night.
|
| In the last three or four years since I knew about the outlet, I cannot
| recall the outlet
| not show atleast 100 systems, especially when you select notebooks or
| desktops and the
| rest all,all,all,all.
|
| I think there was a glitch with the system. This morning there are now
50,
| Inspirion 9300's when
| there were none last night.
|
| The bummer is I could have use the info last night, not this morning.
|
| moncho

Re those 'refurbs'....the federal gov't gets rid of loads of them...people
buy them cheap (w/out HD) they resell them...for $$profit... There are
many federal agencies...and they don't all get rid of them at the same time,
but the fiscal year begins on 1 October.... there was an article somewhere
within the past two weeks about some place getting beaucoups of them...
along with lots of other stuff...vcrs, radios, telephones, misc electronic
equip...
check out some of those fed govt surplus places...you may be surprised...

Helen,

I think you're misunderstanding the Dell Outlet. They're not surplus, like
the government.

They're brand-new machines that are returns. Tested and recertified and
sold with a full warranty.

Tom

Mystery solved! So that's where the FBI and Homeland Security get their
computers. Explains why their computer systems are so state-of-the-art.

.... Ben Myers

<SNIP>