The Past, Present, And Future Of VR And AR: The Pioneers Speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
would Virtual Boy from Nintendo count as VR tech?

it's missing in the article's timeline...

also an arcade game Time Traveler that had "holographic" screen...

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
With the Virtual Boy, I would call it VR tech as it uses similar technology that used in the VR gear that is coming out. With Time Traveler and Holosseum, I would say no. What they used was a single 2D screen that was projected to a curved mirror to create a false reality of the image 'sticking out'. It is more comparable to 3D movies than Virtual Reality.

The Vuzix seems pretty cool. We've already accepted bluetooth headsets and its a very similar look. I hope they all account for the fact that some people are right-handed and left-eye dominant or other way around, as well as color blind or red / green deficient.

I think the Vuxio would be the most useful in everyday life, while obviously Oculus or Morpheus being the most fun.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Morpheus looks cool but it just can't compete with the rift when hooked up to the PS4; it just doesn't have the graphical power to run above 1080P games with acceptable level of detail, effects, etc. especially when the frame rate will need to be at 60fps or more to reduce nauseating effects. On PC, the rift has better sensors (geomagnetic) and is better able to take care of movement lag.

@Cazalan
Agreed. I am all for VR to hit when it is really ready, but until then I would be extremely happy with a high resolution headset to use as an immersive display. I don't want to have to crane my neck and change my body's orientation when gaming. I still want a keyboard/mouse or controller as input and be able to sit back on the couch and just play a game. I have a nice big yard to work on if I want something active to do... when I am gaming I want to get into it, but with the least amount of physical effort possible.

Henderburn

Reputable
May 2, 2014
The VR timeline should include the release of "Snow Crash," the novel that inspired John Carmack and Michael Abrash to make Quake and build the foundations for VR

Cybolic

Reputable
May 8, 2014
Vuzix examples are probably the worst I've ever heard: "having a sales associate be able to answer your questions" and "see exactly where your veins are so they only stick you once with the needle to get the blood", yeah, they are supposed to already be able to do that without wearing special glasses; it's literally what they're being paid for.

Brian Overman

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
On 13 August 2014 the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau from the City of London Police indicated that reports from Kickstarter backers of vrAse have "enabled the police to take actions to disrupt the activities of suspected criminals. This activity can be in the form of requests to suspend or take down:

-Fraudulent websites or email accounts,

-Telephone numbers,

-Bank accounts or foreign currency exchange accounts.

It can take time for disruption requests to be fully processed, so please be assured this activity is in progress"

from Pete O'Doherty, Director of the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau

Jul 19, 2014
What I really want to see is SAO nervegear style VR, i.e no controllers or displays required and all 5 senses being stimulated, but obviously that's still a long way off. Still pretty cool stuff tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.