Question The PC I built frequently freezes with no way of closing the programs, causing the freezing.

May 6, 2020
The PC I built frequently freezes with no way of closing the programs, causing the freezing. To force it to shut down with the power button. Have completely reset the computer And Reinstalled windows. The problem occurs typically when watching youtube or listening to music while a game is running or loading a game. If you can please help

Amd Ryzen 7 2700x

Nvidia Rtx 2080

Asus Rog strix x470-f

4 Sticks of G.Skill F4- 3200C16- 8GTZR DDR4

Samsung SSD 860 qvc 1tb

4tb Western digital hard Drive

Kraken x72

Asus 850 W 80+ Platinum

popatim

Titan
Set your system to stock memory timings and see if it's more stable. The ram you list is a 2 stick kit and adding a second set doesn't make it compatible with the first set. Usually you buy the size kit you want.

If it's not stable then make yourself a memtest86 bootdisk/flashdrive and run memory testing for several hours. I usually run it overnight before even bothering to install windows.
Feel free to quit early if you get any errors, your memory isn't fully compatible, & Try again with only two sticks installed. And then 1 stick if that fails.

May 6, 2020
Set your system to stock memory timings and see if it's more stable. The ram you list is a 2 stick kit and adding a second set doesn't make it compatible with the first set. Usually you buy the size kit you want.

If it's not stable then make yourself a memtest86 bootdisk/flashdrive and run memory testing for several hours. I usually run it overnight before even bothering to install windows.
Feel free to quit early if you get any errors, your memory isn't fully compatible, & Try again with only two sticks installed. And then 1 stick if that fails.
My computer now freeze when I run memtest86 with the cpu selection on sequential. It all way fails around when pass is at 25% and around 40-49% through test 3.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What bios are you running? It's very important that you not update to any bios for 3rd gen. Bios chips are very small and can only contain so much data. With what first and 2nd Gen has for cpu and memory instructions, when moving to 3rd gen bios, a lot of that is erased to make room. You have a 2nd Gen mobo and a 2nd Gen cpu, you don't need 3rd gen memory tables. But I would update the bios and media files to the last 2nd Gen bios.

Also update any and all motherboard chipset drivers, they are found in the same place as the Bios.

May 6, 2020
What bios are you running? It's very important that you not update to any bios for 3rd gen. Bios chips are very small and can only contain so much data. With what first and 2nd Gen has for cpu and memory instructions, when moving to 3rd gen bios, a lot of that is erased to make room. You have a 2nd Gen mobo and a 2nd Gen cpu, you don't need 3rd gen memory tables. But I would update the bios and media files to the last 2nd Gen bios.

Also update any and all motherboard chipset drivers, they are found in the same place as the Bios.
I am still using second gen bios, any other good suggestion.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Has it been updated to the last version or is it still original. There's been more than 5 bios updates including the need for motherboard driver package updates since your board was released. Fixes to many memory and compatability and performance issues as well as updated microcode for the cpu itself.

May 6, 2020
Has it been updated to the last version or is it still original. There's been more than 5 bios updates including the need for motherboard driver package updates since your board was released. Fixes to many memory and compatability and performance issues as well as updated microcode for the cpu itself.
it has never been updated. I will try that now.

May 6, 2020
After updating it continues to freeze.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What ram speeds are you getting the freezes at? After setting xmp/dohc to 3200MHz or at 2133MHz or both?

This is generally what happens with 4 sticks on Ryzen. I was hoping the bios upgrade would grant better compatability. I believe your ram is single rank, so you should be fine at 2933MHz, but if wanting to get the full 3200MHz, you'll need to tweak the ram/cpu voltages manually, most people using Dram Calculator.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020
What ram speeds are you getting the freezes at? After setting xmp/dohc to 3200MHz or at 2133MHz or both?

This is generally what happens with 4 sticks on Ryzen. I was hoping the bios upgrade would grant better compatability. I believe your ram is single rank, so you should be fine at 2933MHz, but if wanting to get the full 3200MHz, you'll need to tweak the ram/cpu voltages manually, most people using Dram Calculator.
I changed it to 2933 and raised the ram voltage but it still crashed.