The PC was recently built and there is no video output display on my monitor. Please help me.

Cynthetik

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Here are my parts that I bought

AMD-FX 6300 3.5 Ghz 6 core
Gigabyte Radeon R7 260X 2GB
Biostar TA 970 Motherboard
XFX TS 550W PSU
Seagate 1TB Hard Drive

The monitor in question is a Acer S200HQL

Here's the problem. My boyfriend and his friend were building the PC parts and I went through a lot of money buying an $84 monitor and a $61 drive. We finished installing the drive and when we were about to connect the monitor we realized that the monitor came with a VGA cable, and the computer only had a DVI port. Since the monitor also had a DVI port, I went to Best Buy to purchase a VGA to DVI adaptor. The monitor had no signal at all. Assuming that I was buying a defective item. I went back to Best buy, returned the adaptor and bought a $20 cable instead. It didn't work either.

I connected the monitor to my family's computer and it was working fine.[I used the VGA ports.] I was looking around for a way to change the monitor output to DVI, which it had the option, but I tried to change it, but it won't stay on DVI mode.
I'm at a loss at what to do. If I don't get this fixed by tonight. I'm returning the monitor tommorow and getting a better one.

I did nothing to the computer except to turn it on in hopes that I can test if the parts are working. I made no installations of drivers or OSes whatsoever. I don't even know if my parts are working. The power turned on sucessfully. The fans were blowing, my keyboard LEDs lit up fine. I just don't understand what's wrong.
Someone please help me? I'm a retard with building pcs.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hello,

To be honest if you add the extra $20 which you spent on a cable (if you can return the cable) to the money you get back from your monitor when you return it you can just buy a better monitor that would have all the ports you need. Other than that it would be just guessing what could be wrong.

And you said you had tested the monitor to your family's computer, can you the other way around - test your newly build PC with your family's monitor?

Rusticcc

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Do you have 2 or more sticks of ram?

Try only using 1 stick of ram, if it works put the others back in. I once had the same problem.

If that doesnt work try plugging it into the motherboard.