The Perfect Motherboards For Your Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I guess if I ever was gonna play around with Mac OS X, this would be the way to go. At least It wouldnt completely cost an arm and leg to do so. But I tried the whole hackintosh thing a couple years ago, and while it was kinda cool getting to play around with a different OS other then Windows and Linux, it wasnt all that practical in use. But Im sure there will be plenty of people that find this information useful.

G

Gigabyte makes the motherboards for macs. Except since it has an apple on it, it's worth more.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Good way to dual boot from Windows to Mac, though if you usually play Steam games then you could theoretically stick with the Mac and use Mac drivers for the GPU.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I admit I haven't used OSX much but I can't really see anything that special about the OS that I'd want experiment with getting it running on non-Apple hardware.

It's not bad, it's just not offering anything that Windows or your general Linux distro can't do.

*shrug* My .02 I suppose.

G

"If you're going with Core i5 and Core i7, Gigabyte's recent X58A line of boards like the X58A-UD5, have complete compatibility with OS X."

But Core i5 compatibility, not so much.

industrial_zman

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]TeaPartythebest[/nom]Gigabyte makes the motherboards for macs. Except since it has an apple on it, it's worth more.[/citation]

Actually Intel makes the motherboards for Apple, not Gigabyte. Which I'm shocked that Intel boards aren't more compatible.

I wonder if UEFI and Apple's EFI are the same under the hood from Intel? It could also be the reason why there isn't a more wide spread usage of UEFI until now. Apple secretly having a deal with Intel to NOT to push it forward until the last minute (aka HDD larger than 2.2TB)

G

[citation][nom]industrial_zman[/nom]Actually Intel makes the motherboards for Apple, not Gigabyte. Which I'm shocked that Intel boards aren't more compatible. I wonder if UEFI and Apple's EFI are the same under the hood from Intel? It could also be the reason why there isn't a more wide spread usage of UEFI until now. Apple secretly having a deal with Intel to NOT to push it forward until the last minute (aka HDD larger than 2.2TB)[/citation]

Intel manufactures the chipset. Foxconn actually makes the motherboard.

I was under the impression Foxconn made Apples boards, just like the make many boards for DELL. I know the old ones are for sure, but have not seen many new ones.
Does Intel make there boards now?

industrial_zman

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]1337_b0i[/nom]Intel manufactures the chipset. Foxconn actually makes the motherboard.[/citation]
Intel has always made the boards for Apple. Foxxconn only makes Ipods, Iphones and the Ipad for Apple

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]industrial_zman[/nom]Intel has always made the boards for Apple. Foxxconn only makes Ipods, Iphones and the Ipad for Apple[/citation]

No, actually. Foxxconn manufactures OEM boards for almost everyone, including Intel. If you buy an Intel board, changes are near to 100% that it is manufactured by Foxxconn.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Yes YEs YES.............PLEASE write a guide for custom DSDT patching iwould personally love......it

am having a hard time trying to get my ich 4 working in snow leopard....
personally though..... i find osx as a whole better than windows (enter pc fanboys)
thats bcoz....on my ancient P4 rig with onboard memory.....
Leopard 10.5 runs flawlessly....no crashes nothing whereas i still have problems with windows.....
think it is down to the UNIX base on which apple is based...
but a dsdt guide would really help.......
especially one in which USB patching is detailed......very few guides for that out there....

G

The ultimate hackingtosh guide http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/
They have a full library of DSDT files, a boot disc and even an easy to use drivers compilation that sets everything up for you once you've installed OSX...

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Why would you want to run MaxOSX? Stability? Get Linux, far more stable. Security? Get Linux, far more secure. Plethora of software options, including games? Go Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.