The Phenom vs. Athlon Core Shootout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

I think THG forgot that Intel is shipping the Q6600, Q6700, ..... right now that destroy the Phenom and AMD does not have an answer in sight for those. If you want a Quad Core Right now, you can do that quite easily on even the old 965 boards.

THG really needs to hire a fact checker for their articles.

While I enjoy the forums, I'm finding the level of articles dropping.
There are still some great writers doing great things.
But I see too many articles with attempts to prove something and designing tests to reach that result.

Having an article comparing the Phenom to the X2 and "OCing" the Phenom and "Underclocking the "X2" is a joke.
I mean why did they just not use an X2 5600+?
I presume because saying it "Beat" an X2 6000+ "sounds" better than beating a slower chip.
At least to those who don't read well or analyze well.

Also failing to detail how they OC'd the Phenom such as NB settings, really leaves ......
Ooops....It looks like THG used an "ES" chip. for the Phenom.
Now, Don't the authors read info about the Phenoms??

Perhaps they are the only Hardware site that did not find out that AMD cut back the NB speeds to 1.8 from 2.0 for stability reasons.

A number of threads are noting that this had really hurt performance.
I wonder if THG cut back the NB speeds when doing the OC's to help ensure a proper analysis?

Or I guess it could just be another part of their OC they did not talk about......
Maybe they knew the issue and cranked it way up, but that means lots of Volts to the NB chip and probably extra chipset cooling.

d4NjvRzf

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007

I guess that one of the points was to give an idea of how the core architectures stack up. Whatever improvements AMD made to the K8 architecture apparently doesn't produce very exciting results -- certainly nowhere near the 40% over clovertown they were toting. Looks like stitching two K8s together might have yielded comparable results.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007

Not only would it have got comparable results it could have been clocked higher to at least 3ghz.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
it does very well at supcom versus the k8, which in my book is the only cpu test worth looking at ;)

If youve played it you will know what it does to a cpu.