The pixel - Squared or Round!!

boyaka

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I always thought that the pixel was squared, until today the professor of my Computer Graphics course described the pixel as circular. When i came up to him after the class, he insisted that the pixel was more of a blob and he sited the book "Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice" by Foley as reference. Does anyone know for sure the shape of the pixel??? Even the tomshardware article "Birth of the Pixel" does not mention the shape of the pixel. Any info is appreciated!

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
But if you zoom in on a image real close they look quite square.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Aperture grill monitors (like Sony Trinitron) have square pixels.

Shadow Mask monitors have round pixels (or nearly so).

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Last I heard they were working on triangular pixels so that they can fit then together tighter.

This is the first I heard of square pixels, I thought that they were all round. I don't know about LCD's, I think those are rectangular.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

boyaka

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Regardless of what type of monitor (CRT,LCD or even TV) ur using, the way an image pixel is represented is the same at the Graphic card level and should have the same shape independent of ur display type...It's true I also heard they were researching triangular even hexagonal shapes but I don't think they applied it yet...the thing that really confuses me is that if the pixel was round then there would be a lot of empty spaces in an image...shouldn't we be able at least see those empty spaces?
Thnx for the replies

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This should explain why pixels have different shapes in CRTs.

<A HREF="http://www.pctechguide.com/06crtmon.htm" target="_new">http://www.pctechguide.com/06crtmon.htm</A>

LCD panels also have square/rectangular pixels and are very distinctive because each subpixel (pixels are made up of red, green, and blue subixels) is actually one liquid crystal cell.

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/22/02 07:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>