Discussion The possibility that a game could prick your GPU.

ChuVoyKon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2019
As in the title, I recently watched JayzTwoCents video about Amazon's Game, New World, could prick the 3090 series. It immediately reminded me of Cyberpunk. I used to be able to play other games without any issue.
My GPU is an MSI GTX 1070 OC.
When Cyberpunk was released, I played it. Got a few crashes here and there, but I thought it was normal, the game was rushed anyway. Until it started to crash more frequently, to the point it just straight up crashed at main menu screen. I started looking for solutions and monitoring my GPU to see if anything went crazy. I noticed that the game would spike my GPU core clock. So I had to tune down my GPU, undervolted it.
What do you guys think about this?
Has anyone have the issue like me?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Not really relevant as this is long before dynamic clock boost, but I could remember my old 8600M GT artifacting on Mount & Blade of all things, near its end. That whole generation was faulty.

Weren't modern cards supposed to have an absolute TDP limit? Apparently those are neither accurate at all times, nor sufficient protection, now.

ChuVoyKon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2019
Not really relevant as this is long before dynamic clock boost, but I could remember my old 8600M GT artifacting on Mount & Blade of all things, near its end. That whole generation was faulty.

Weren't modern cards supposed to have an absolute TDP limit? Apparently those are neither accurate at all times, nor sufficient protection, now.
Could be. But it's also very easy to interfere a GPU performance by software such as MSI Afterburner. There's a chance that game companies would do it to make their games meet the consumer's expectation, which is a playable framerate with a decent graphic quality.
Again, just my own thought.