Aug 22, 2022
Hello

My system is:
motherboard : asus x370 f gaming
CPU : 3600x
RAM : 16 g
graphic card : msi 1070 ti
PSU : 850w

In order to test another graphic card (model 6900 xt), I changed the graphic card. I tested it without any problem and then I connected my graphics card to the motherboard again.

But after that, the graphic card did not display the image, and the VGA and boot lights on the motherboard remain on.

I checked and connected another graphic card to the system. Again, the system did not show the image to the monitor.
In the end, I changed the CPU and bought a 1700X model CPU. And the system turned on and booted without any problem or error.

I updated the BIOS with the new CPU and reinstalled my CPU on the system.

But it is still the same problem. After starting the system, the VGA and boot lights on the motherboard stay on

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Two things:

1) What brand and model is that 850 W PSU? Age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

2) Use the calculators in the following link to total up the builds power requirements for each CPU and GPU combination.

What totals do you get? Objective being to determine if wattage demand X works but wattage demand X + 1 does not display, etc...

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Reactions: ariamns
Aug 22, 2022
Two things:

1) What brand and model is that 850 W PSU? Age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

2) Use the calculators in the following link to total up the builds power requirements for each CPU and GPU combination.

What totals do you get? Objective being to determine if wattage demand X works but wattage demand X + 1 does not display, etc...

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)
I tested with another PSU , but the problem was not solved. Therefore, the main PSU is healthy.

But I replaced it with another motherboard and the system booted!

I really don't know what the problem is.

Ralston18

Titan
If Motherboard X ( the "Asus x370f" ?) fails and Motherboard Y passes/boots (provided that there were no other changes made) then Motherboard X is the likely culprit.

Discovering the specific motherboard failure could be difficult without more information and tests. E.g., LED's, beep codes, Q-codes, etc..