Question the processor doesn't work 100% of its speed and low fps with GTX 1060

Nov 6, 2019
hi all
i have i5 3470 3.2GHz up to 3.6 GHz
with custom air cooler
8 GB RAm
600 W power supply
i know i have a huge bottleneck due to my old cpu
when i play bf1 the processor goes to 100% and gpu is only 70% and arround 68 fps
but when i play bf4 the cpu doesn't excess 80% and 50 % of the gpu
with 50 fps !!
why the game don't use the maximum power of the cpu ?
note that i play with activated high performance mode

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They are similar games, but the engine made some pretty serious changes from BF4 to BF1. CPU at 100% in BF1 is not surprising.

I would say it has to be down to game settings. Exactly 50FPS is quite suspicious, are you sure you don't have v-sync or some other frame limit set?

Disregard the pre-sets, check the actual settings to see if they are similar.

Nov 6, 2019
They are similar games, but the engine made some pretty serious changes from BF4 to BF1. CPU at 100% in BF1 is not surprising.

I would say it has to be down to game settings. Exactly 50FPS is quite suspicious, are you sure you don't have v-sync or some other frame limit set?

Disregard the pre-sets, check the actual settings to see if they are similar.
no sorry it isn't Exactly 50 FPS but around it (maybe from 55 to 75)
and BF1 & BF4 have the same settings
i'm playing on 79 hz so when i activate the v-sync it limits the FPS to 80
i got around +5 FPS when i set the processing priority of BF4 to Realtime but it didn't push the CPU to achieve 90% and i'm sure my PUS is pretty strong
since 2 days i got issue with windows updates due to my antivirus "360 Total Security" it forced me to install updates so i needed to restore the windows without losing personal data

do you think updating the motherboard drivers would help ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If there are new drivers for it maybe. Would be a bit surprising if there were and if it would solve a problem with only one revision of Frostbite.

Maybe post in some battlefield forums and see if anyone else reports a similar problem. Could be a driver error from your GPU vendor.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
when i play bf1 the processor goes to 100% and gpu is only 70% and arround 68 fps
but when i play bf4 the cpu doesn't excess 80% and 50 % of the gpu
Don't look at cpu usage as a whole; it can lead to inaccurate assumptions of the processor's performance.
Check usage of each core/thread.

@chernobyl choky BF4 is an older title, and you are likely still cpu limited - just with fewer threads.

Reactions: TJ Hooker