the prog c;windowssystem32lgass.exe .......

Ed

I am getting this message in xp prof and the pc will do a count down from 1
minute and restart. please advice what is causing this and how can i rectify
the situation.hope someone still around as Xmas draws near, 'Merry Xmas'

Sounds like sasser virus.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"ed" wrote:
|I am getting this message in xp prof and the pc will do a count down from 1
| minute and restart. please advice what is causing this and how can i
rectify
| the situation.hope someone still around as Xmas draws near, 'Merry Xmas'

Links about the Sasser virus:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp
http://www.updatexp.com/sasser-worm.html
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/sasser.htm

To stop shutdown, click Start, click Run and type: shutdown -a
then click OK.

Removal tools available here:-
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=125008
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.worm.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.b.worm.html

For technical details on Sasser and manual steps to remove
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/alerts/sasser.mspx

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User