[SOLVED] The proper AC adapter to power Dell G7 7588

Sedana Diatmika

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014
I have a Dell G7 7588 that I bought in 2018. The specs are i7 8750H, GTX 1050ti, 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, and 1TB HDD.

I have heard that my laptop is using hybrid power (it's using the AC adapter and the battery simultaneously) because the AC adapter that I got in the box (130W) is not enough to power all the components in it (when I'm doing heavy task like playing video games). Because of that, after 3 years of using this laptop, my battery is currently in a really bad condition. My laptop can only turn on in 15 minutes before it ran out of battery. And also when I'm playing video games (like Apex Legends), my laptop will run out of battery even if it's plugged in, so the laptop will go to sleep mode in the middle of the game.

So my question is: how much power does it actually need to power my laptop?
Because I was wondering to buy an AC adapter that has higher power output. Does 150W enough? or should I get the 180W?

Solution
Here's where the issue would lie if there was one.

Output current (continuous)
6.70 A​
9.23 A​

...but being both adapters in this link are for the same computer....I think you should be fine as long as your G7 7588 is the same as a G7 15
Regardless of anything else I would replace the battery.
I think you probably can get away with a higher power adapter.
The one thing I would be concerned about it....the circuitry that handles the incoming power may not be able to handle a higher power adapter...and I think this would be hard to determine.

Reactions: Sedana Diatmika

Sedana Diatmika

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014
Regardless of anything else I would replace the battery.
I think you probably can get away with a higher power adapter.
The one thing I would be concerned about it....the circuitry that handles the incoming power may not be able to handle a higher power adapter...and I think this would be hard to determine.
I was worried about the same thing. I agree that it is a safer option. But my laptop's model actually comes with 180W adapter if it was equipped with GTX 1060 (I think). And from this page on Dell's website, "Dell G7 15 Setup and Specifications", it said that this laptop has 2 types of power adapter, 130W and 180W.
So do you think using the 180W will still cause some problems?

Sedana Diatmika

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014
Here's where the issue would lie if there was one.

Output current (continuous)
6.70 A​
9.23 A​

...but being both adapters in this link are for the same computer....I think you should be fine as long as your G7 7588 is the same as a G7 15
Yes, they are the same. I think it's pretty clear for me now. Thank you for your responses. I hope my laptop will be fine once I decided to use the 180W adapter.