[SOLVED] THE QUESTION- HIGH END X470 or mid X570

Uther39

Distinguished
Hi folks so this is my dilemma, do i purchase for my 3800X an ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero X470 or for the same price here in the UK the MSI X570 PRO CARBON GAMING WIFI. Obviously the ASUS is more feature rich but the MSI is maybe more furture proof. Decisions Decisions.

Any feedback with listed reasons for recommendations will be welcome, thanks.

Solution
I'd go with the X570. It has a nice feature set. While PCIe 4.0 isn't necessary for the GPU. Doubling the bandwidth to the X570 is a big plus. As so many devices share those 4 PCIe 4.0 lanes.
Jul 12, 2019
I would say if you're upgrading a rig, go for the 470, as it is backwards compatible for any (AM4 socket) processor you might already have, but if this a new rig, go for the X570, as you might as well not get an older board if you're getting 3rd gen Ryzen.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well call me old fashioned but for gaming and non-gaming I don't use wifi. I just run a cable from the PC to the keyboard/screen installation about twenty feet away. Being a homeowner I had the luxury of not asking a landlord if this was OK. I drilled a hole at a discrete place in the floor and ran the cables about twenty feet on the ceiling of the basement and came up where I wanted to be. It's nice. I can look out in my back yard. There are occasional lag issues on the mouse but with USB 3.0 it has become pretty minimal. And maybe I can try USB 3.1 Gen 2. I just installed the port for it today. :) But I don't have a single device in the house that can use it. So truth be told I don't know whether the hook up is good or whether the hardware was DOA. I don't even know where to get a mouse with a USB 3.1 Gen 2 cable.

But in this household the desktops, all two of them, are hard wired, and the wifi is for the smart phones tablets guests and what have you. Greg N

Jul 12, 2019
Well call me old fashioned but for gaming and non-gaming I don't use wifi. I just run a cable from the PC to the keyboard/screen installation about twenty feet away. Being a homeowner I had the luxury of not asking a landlord if this was OK. I drilled a hole at a discrete place in the floor and ran the cables about twenty feet on the ceiling of the basement and came up where I wanted to be. It's nice. I can look out in my back yard. There are occasional lag issues on the mouse but with USB 3.0 it has become pretty minimal. And maybe I can try USB 3.1 Gen 2. I just installed the port for it today. :) But I don't have a single device in the house that can use it. So truth be told I don't know whether the hook up is good or whether the hardware was DOA. I don't even know where to get a mouse with a USB 3.1 Gen 2 cable.

But in this household the desktops, all two of them, are hard wired, and the wifi is for the smart phones tablets guests and what have you. Greg N
Um that's not the topic of this thread, sorry.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you have $250 or more to spend on a Motherboard, I would look at the X570 boards.
Just wait a week or two and there should be reviews of those x570s to help you decide.
I'm sure you can find a decent board for that price.
If you are looking to spend $100-$150 I'd look at the B450 or X470 boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
FWIW, just watched a Buildzoid video on what MBs to avoid/buy for 3000 series. Essentially he suggested two: Asus Tuf gaming if you want WiFi, and the Gigabyte Aorus Elite if you don't need WiFi. Here is the link:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyuS04lD4o
This and I’d get the 570 for 3000 series because of how they’ve changed how the RAM works and how it apparently supports over 4000Mhz RAM with the sweet spot being 3700-3800

This and I’d get the 570 for 3000 series because of how they’ve changed how the RAM works and how it apparently supports over 4000Mhz RAM with the sweet spot being 3700-3800
Be careful... the 'sweet spot' is 3600 because IF drops into 2:1 mode above it.

While I'm reading there are ways to tune the RAM speed back up by overclocking IF, nobody is demonstrating that just yet. Maybe it will come, and maybe it will be a nightmare... like trying to get 3200 on Ry1k and early AGESA code!

But for now 3600 seems to be as easy as enabling XMP with quality RAM even on B450 boards. Emphasis is 'quality' RAM with good heat spreaders. Most people with budget boards have budget RAM they put with it.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Be careful... the 'sweet spot' is 3600 because IF drops into 2:1 mode above it.

While I'm reading there are ways to tune the RAM speed back up by overclocking IF, nobody is demonstrating that just yet. Maybe it will come, and maybe it will be a nightmare... like trying to get 3200 on Ry1k and early AGESA code!

But for now 3600 seems to be as easy as enabling XMP with quality RAM even on B450 boards. Emphasis is 'quality' RAM with good heat spreaders. Most people with budget boards have budget RAM they put with it.
That was according to AMD with the new IF not being tied to the memory clock and all

jensF

Reputable
Jul 13, 2019
If power consumption is something that matters to you, then you should consider the x470. The x570 is a bit power hungry. I haven't done my own research on it yet but it can go +7-10W higher than the x470. Just something to consider as well :)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador