Question The RAM runs at 2400MHz instead of the claimed 3200MHz ?

Jan 8, 2024
I used a translator to write this post.

I'm a complete novice at building pc's. My memory refuses to work at frequencies above 2400, at 3133 it starts but system crashes every 20 minutes are assured.

And yes naturally when you enable xmp profiles the pc also refuses to work.

Why it doesn't work at the claimed 3200MHz and how to make it work that way ?

Motherboard : b550a-pro
Processor : 5 5600
Memory : Kingston Fury KF3200C16D4/8GX ( 4 pads )

LBhWb1d.png

Any memory speed above the base of 2400 is considered overclocked memory. There are no guarantees it will work above the rated speed.
I suspect your problem is that you have 4 sticks of ram. This is much harder for the memory controller on the CPU to run. Although many people can get it to 3200 or even higher on some CPU chips the official documents say it won't. It is pure luck of the manufacturing quality of your particular cpu.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-5600

If you look at the bottom it says you can only run 2933 or 2667 when you run 4 sticks. Since your display says you have 1R memory you might get 2933.

Since there is not XMP profile for 2933 you are going to have to manually try to find a combination that will work. The key thing to be careful of is the voltage. XMP makes it easy to overclock memory when it works. You are now going to have to do it the old way where you have to actually know what all those numbers mean.

Jan 8, 2024
Ryzen and 4 sticks of RAM is always a challenge to run at the rated speed. Enable XMP and set RAM speed manually to 2933. That's probably the best you can get for a stable operation.

468179_Vermeer_MemCont.jpg
Sorry, I had already manually set it to 2933.
Does it make sense to also enable XMP profile as well, and if yes, why ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen can be challenging when it comes to ram, more so with 4 dimms, this hasn't really changed much throughout the generations. Can keep trying your luck with it but if i were you and are able to return the ram for a pair of 16GBs that's what I'd do.

Reactions: HallisPlus