News The Samsung 980 SSD Spotted: A DRAM-Less PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD

Co BIY

Splendid
Will I "feel" the difference between PCIe 4.0 drives and NVME PCIe 3.0 drives when operating the computer or will it only matter with large operations?

Moving from HHD to Sata SSD is amazing. I slightly notice the speed of NVME drives over the SATA (also on better machines).

I imagine there are diminishing returns.

Will I "feel" the difference between PCIe 4.0 drives and NVME PCIe 3.0 drives when operating the computer or will it only matter with large operations?

Moving from HHD to Sata SSD is amazing. I slightly notice the speed of NVME drives over the SATA (also on better machines).

It will only matter with things that move huge amounts of data constantly.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

When using the computer for mundane things, it's not that different from an NVMe and a good SATA SSD. (I've seen both, and it's like that). I believe from 3.0 to 4.0 there won't be a meaninful difference.

On large file copies, obviously, because it is tied to transfer speeds (read/write).

On games, not yet, but almost. Cyberpunk already has lower city loading performance when moving if you are on a SATA drive compared to a mid-range NVMe. Sony only certifies third-party drives for the PS5 that reach 5,000 MB/s read speeds, which mean the games can expect a very fast drive. For example, you could have an RTX 3090, if your drive is not fast enough you could need to lower textures because asset loading can't keep up. That's in the future, but a nearer one every day.

Reactions: Co BIY and gg83

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
When using the computer for mundane things, it's not that different from an NVMe and a good SATA SSD. (I've seen both, and it's like that). I believe from 3.0 to 4.0 there won't be a meaninful difference.

On large file copies, obviously, because it is tied to transfer speeds (read/write).

On games, not yet, but almost. Cyberpunk already has lower city loading performance when moving if you are on a SATA drive compared to a mid-range NVMe. Sony only certifies third-party drives for the PS5 that reach 5,000 MB/s read speeds, which mean the games can expect a very fast drive. For example, you could have an RTX 3090, if your drive is not fast enough you could need to lower textures because asset loading can't keep up. That's in the future, but a nearer one every day.

That's pretty much my understanding. Load times for most games today aren't affected much by the jump from SATA to NVME because they are coded to work with people gaming on potatoes with spinny disks.

However, now that consoles are finally making the switch, SSDs will become more of a requirement rather than a recommendation. And so I would expect that games in the future will start to reveal the differences between SATA SSDs and NVME SSDs more and more as the requirement to support the painfully slow spinny disks starts to go away.

I made the switch to SSD back in 2011 and never looked back. I was telling people years ago that if they weren't gaming on an SSD, they were wrong. Today I would say if somebody is still gaming on a spinny disk, they are woefully ignorant. The need for games to support spinny disks is holding us back, so everybody needs to get with the program and make the switch to SSD so that developers can stop being handcuffed by slow access times.

Of course, spinny disks are still useful for bulk storage of things like movies and pictures. But for games, its times for SSD to be a requirement.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021
Samsung's 980 SSDs are almost here, but they are slower than Samsung's 970 Evo Plus.

The Samsung 980 SSD Spotted: A DRAM-Less PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD-GarageBand : Read More.

This may be a consideration for server or workstation loads, but it’ll be fine for most any home user. I have been using my machine a LOT as of late, since I’ve been working from home since March, plus I game and do photo editing on my machine. Probably in use 10 hours a day, plus it stays on 24/7. My current boot drive is a 970 EVO NVME 1TB, and I’ve written 27TB in 123 days of operation. At that rate, 600TB written will last me 7.5 years, which is way longer than I would expect any drive to last.

Last edited:
I think by now, most people realized SSD (SATA or NVMe) is the way to go -because performance difference between HDD and SSD is just too big and very noticeable. And I also think that it isn't worth for average PC user to pay extra price for PCIe 4.0 SSD.

Yes, SSD prices have become kinda "reasonable".. still, they're are much higher than HDD prices (per capacity). And makers try to "invent" ways to keep them high -Samsung 980 NVMe seems to be a good example for that: advertise as premium and set the price between "pro" and "consumer".