Question The screen of a laptop Acer Aspire 5 with Windows 11 does not turn on once its get black, even though the laptop is on.

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021
The screen of a laptop Acer Aspire 5 with Windows 11 does not turn on once its get black because of inactivity, even though the laptop is on.
Do you know how to fix this?
Thanks

So the screen works until it sleeps?

Might check for any firmware updates. I’d go through windows updates and go to advanced and have it install any optional updates as well. But you may check acers website to see if they have bios/firmware updates available. Seems like we’ve had a couple of dells at work at similarly, and that a bios update many times resolved it.

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021

Might check for any firmware updates. I’d go through windows updates and go to advanced and have it install any optional updates as well. But you may check acers website to see if they have bios/firmware updates available. Seems like we’ve had a couple of dells at work at similarly, and that a bios update many times resolved it.
These are all the BIOS/Firmware updates I found for my Acer laptop in https://www.acer.com:

Which one do you think I should install?

Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution.
[TR]
[TH]Category
[/TH]

[TH]Name
[/TH]

[TH]Vendor
[/TH]

[TH]Date
[/TH]

[TH]Version
[/TH]

[TH]Size
[/TH]

[TH]Action[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BIOS[/TD]
[TD]Support SHARP LQ156M1JW01 panel.[/TD]
[TD]Acer[/TD]
[TD]2020/12/23[/TD]
[TD]1.13[/TD]
[TD]5.81 MB[/TD]
[TD]Download[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BIOS[/TD]
[TD]Support on board RAM Micron 8G 3200 (MT40A512M16LY-062E:E).[/TD]
[TD]Acer[/TD]
[TD]2020/10/13[/TD]
[TD]1.12[/TD]
[TD]5.81 MB[/TD]
[TD]Download[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BIOS[/TD]
[TD]Support ELinux new boot path.[/TD]
[TD]Acer[/TD]
[TD]2020/08/21[/TD]
[TD]1.11[/TD]
[TD]5.81 MB[/TD]
[TD]Download[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BIOS[/TD]
[TD]Update CPU microcode 0086.[/TD]
[TD]Acer[/TD]
[TD]2020/06/30[/TD]
[TD]1.08[/TD]
[TD]5.81 MB[/TD]
[TD]Download[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BIOS[/TD]
[TD]Update Nvidia N17S-G3 and N17S-G5 VBIOS.[/TD]
[TD]Acer[/TD]
[TD]2020/05/11[/TD]
[TD]1.06[/TD]
[TD]5.81 MB[/TD]
[TD]Download[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BIOS[/TD]
[TD]Update CPU Microcode to 006A.[/TD]
[TD]Acer[/TD]
[TD]2020/03/20[/TD]
[TD]1.04[/TD]
[TD]5.78 MB[/TD]
[TD]Download[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BIOS[/TD]
[TD]Support LP LP156WFC-SPD5 panel brightness table.[/TD]
[TD]Acer[/TD]
[TD]2019/12/26[/TD]
[TD]1.03[/TD]
[TD]5.77 MB[/TD]
[TD]Download[/TD]
[/TR]

On my phone, but it looks like you can go here and put in your part number/serial number

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/drivers-and-manuals

I would think that would let you see what’s specifically for your computer. At least on the Dell systems I’ve worked on, you just go to their support page and enter the service tag (their version of serial number), then you can go to the drivers area and find the latest drivers for your device.

So I’d try to see if acer lets you do the same thing. Also read their descriptions for any special instructions but on the Dell systems I work on, I usually install the latest version of the bios, as the latest version theoretically should have all of the previous fixes and any new ones they implement as well.

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021

No, it does not need to sleep. The screen just turns off after a few minutes to save energy. But the computer never sleeps. At some point I try to move the mouse or punch any key and the display does not turn on.

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021
On my phone, but it looks like you can go here and put in your part number/serial number

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/drivers-and-manuals

I would think that would let you see what’s specifically for your computer. At least on the Dell systems I’ve worked on, you just go to their support page and enter the service tag (their version of serial number), then you can go to the drivers area and find the latest drivers for your device.

So I’d try to see if acer lets you do the same thing. Also read their descriptions for any special instructions but on the Dell systems I work on, I usually install the latest version of the bios, as the latest version theoretically should have all of the previous fixes and any new ones they implement as well.
These are the BIOS drivers I see for my computer in acer.com:
View: https://imgur.com/a/TbUpARK

Which one should I install?

Before you start doing updates, you might see if you go to the control panel, and under power options, check what the setting for sleep and the screen turn off is and then adjust those upwards a bit.

As far as updates, I might start by going to Windows updates, then telling it check for updates and installing any it finds there, then go to advance options and see if it shows any optional updates there, it may find some of your driver updates including some of the firmware updates then you can go from there. As far as the bios updates, is that what it found when you put in your serial number? If so then they theoretically should be safe to do.

goahead97

Reputable
Feb 28, 2021
Before you start doing updates, you might see if you go to the control panel, and under power options, check what the setting for sleep and the screen turn off is and then adjust those upwards a bit.

As far as updates, I might start by going to Windows updates, then telling it check for updates and installing any it finds there, then go to advance options and see if it shows any optional updates there, it may find some of your driver updates including some of the firmware updates then you can go from there. As far as the bios updates, is that what it found when you put in your serial number? If so then they theoretically should be safe to do.
I already installed all the updates of Windows, including the optional updates. I also installed all the updates of Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

Yes, the bios updates I showed in the screenshot are those showed by acer.com after putting in my laptop's serial number.