[SOLVED] The search for 4gb GPU

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Hello everyone,

A while ago I brought my old gaming pc back to life, see here. Playing CoD MW3 and Warhammer 40k DoW II for a few weeks and I am done with that. Want to play newer games like CoD MW, so my Nividia GeForce GTS250 must retire. But now I face a new problem. I want to buy a used GPU of 4gb, but I actually don't know which. There are so many out there and I want to stay within a "tight" budget of 100,- euro's, cause in two years I want to build a new gaming PC with 8 gb GPU at least. So I shout out to you for help.

Which GPU's are good enough to fit in my budget and are compatible with the rest of my computer?

PARTCURRENT
MOBOASUS P7P55D
CPUIntel i5 CPU 750 2.67GHz
RAMKingston HyperX Genesis 2x4 1600 mhz / 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 (4x4gb)
GPUGeForce GTS 250 (512MB)
STATIONSSD 500GB + HDD 1TB 7200rpm
PSUCorsair 650W
CPU CoolerMaster Cooler V8
CASEMaster Cooler CM690

Solution
In current GPU price mayhem context is OK deal. In playability - also usable. Build I mentioned above with i5@750 CPU and R9 280 3 GB GPU was able to run DOOM 2016 on medium settings with 40-50 FPS. Though it failed miserably in GTA V (missing textures in city downtown bridge areas) and Wolfenstein NWO (game slowdown till unplayable condition after 5-10 minutes). In both cases it was caused by insufficient CPU performance. CPU upgrade to Xeon 3470 fixed Wolfenstein slowdown, but GTA V glitch remained till recent upgrade to completely new system.

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
With your budget and comparing your PC, i would suggest first get a better cpu, as yours will bottleneck any medium gpu available on the market.
Everything else is fine for a high end gpu

Reactions: Nemesis101

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
GTX 1050TI or RX570 (be sure not to get a used mining card))
Bro, you know where to get those cards for less than 1 hundred. where?
There I face the first problem. Those GPU's are not available at my price range. I begin to wonder if there are any 4gb GPU's in my price range.

With your budget and comparing your PC, i would suggest first get a better cpu, as yours will bottleneck any medium gpu available on the market.
Everything else is fine for a high end gpu
What do you suggest I should do about it? I already bought new RAM and a new SSD card and if I start buying a new CPU I would also need a new MOBO and I end up having a new PC instead of upgrading my current PC. If I buy a new PC I want to do it properly and create a very nice new gaming PC with not less than 8gb GPU. But that is planned over two years. Is it possible to overclock the CPU so it works properly with 4gb GPU?

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
There I face the first problem. Those GPU's are not available at my price range. I begin to wonder if there are any 4gb GPU's in my price range.

What do you suggest I should do about it? I already bought new RAM and a new SSD card and if I start buying a new CPU I would also need a new MOBO and I end up having a new PC instead of upgrading my current PC. If I buy a new PC I want to do it properly and create a very nice new gaming PC with not less than 8gb GPU. But that is planned over two years. Is it possible to overclock the CPU so it works properly with 4gb GPU?
If you can up the voltages more, then maybe you wont have 30-40 fps drops bc of your cpu, but best of luck finding a 4gb gpu for 100 euros
And if u cannot up it, then u have to make-do for now

100€ will do a little here. From economy standpoint there is nothing to upgrade. To play decent AAA titles without lag, you need a new system with AMD Zen 3600X and above or intel 10xxx and above CPU. Pouring money into old one equals losing it in long term.

Although if you still want to prolong live of old system, there is still 2 things you can upgrade. Particularly
  • Change CPU to Xeon X3470 (1st gen i7 sever version with better thread management). It is fastest CPU that matches (socket) and works in your motherboard. Cost around 35-45€ in eBay now.
  • Change GPU to RX580, GTX1060 and upwards. Think about using new GPU in your next new system. If you can scrap together for better GPU, do it. And spit on anyone who mutter about CPU bottlenecking.
After that the next go is completely new system I'm afraid. Good news - you can keep GPU and maybe PSU then. For idea there is my previous build parts list. Real CPU was Xeon 3470 (aren't in PPL parts database).

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
RX580 and GTX 1060 6 GB models are selling on Ebay for 170 - 300 buckaroos. It's like pretty much the worst time in the history of mankind to buy a GPU. Well, maybe during the stone age it was a bit worse, but anyway.

EDIT: Looks like you could probably get an RX560 4GB for about €100 off Ebay. In one of my PC's I have an RX460, and it's an okay card for 1080p medium settings for a good number of games.

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
So basically it's not worth to put a 4 gb GPU in this computer? Is it worth to put a 2GB in this computer for the price of 50,- euro's? And can I play games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare with it or is it just simple too low for it?

I know about the GPU shortage on the market so investing in a 8 gb GPU now is not worth the price. I also don't want it know so I am happy I can wait two more years. Buying a new MOBO, CPU, GPU and RAM all in one is just too much for now.

If a 2gb GPU is worth the effort, which cards do you advise?

HWOC

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I wouldn't be too hung up on the amount of memory, you could have a faster GPU with 2 GB of memory than a slow one with 4 GB. Check out what's available on Ebay at your price range, then google for reviews or comparison to your current card.

In current GPU price mayhem context is OK deal. In playability - also usable. Build I mentioned above with i5@750 CPU and R9 280 3 GB GPU was able to run DOOM 2016 on medium settings with 40-50 FPS. Though it failed miserably in GTA V (missing textures in city downtown bridge areas) and Wolfenstein NWO (game slowdown till unplayable condition after 5-10 minutes). In both cases it was caused by insufficient CPU performance. CPU upgrade to Xeon 3470 fixed Wolfenstein slowdown, but GTA V glitch remained till recent upgrade to completely new system.

Solution

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
I will keep this in my mind. If my CPU is heavily failing I may consider to purchause an new one, and a new MOBO, if I can strike a good deal.

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
I'd like to thanks everyone for the advice. Just installed the MSI R9 280 Twin Frozer and I love it. For 40,- euro such a sunshine. It runs smoothly, don't even hear it when surfing the web. Next step will be buying CoD MW and test it out. It should run smooth on low settings on 1080p, so I hope it works for me. At least CoD MW3 runs very good. xD

I will install Diablo III on this computer and try it. It used to face problems so I quit the game. As Diablo II lover Diablo III sucked too, so it was an easy call. But I'm curious to see how it works now.

Reactions: helpstar and Krotow