Question the seasonal, unpredictable BSOD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

idris_al_mamri

Prominent
Dec 26, 2021
hello everyone, this problem has been with me since i got my laptop in 2019, its this mysterious BSOD (INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntoskrnl.exe ) that appears and disappear for some reason, it only occurs during gaming, it could be at the first 5 minutes, it could be few hours later, also i say mysterious because it disappear for months and comes back, today i got it for the first time in 3 months, but sometimes it occurs repeatedly non-stop and its driving me insane, i looked up forums and did :

1-update all of my drivers
2-did a memtest86 scan
3-got new ram sticks
4-replaced my hdd with an ssd
5-Ran the System File Checker
6-did a factory reset
7-uninstalled and reinstalled gpu driver with DDU
8-updated my bios
9-updated windows 10
10-ran an antivirus (malwarebyte) multiple times

and many other minor fixes that did absolutely nothing, some say its your device is overheating (its not) sometimes i get BSOD before the game can even starts, beside the laptop temps don't cross 70c even while playing highly demanding games, and no i didn't do any overclocking, many pointed that sometimes its caused by OC but i didn't overclock anything.

here is the dumpfile

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8sne5bpn0gwpx8f/122621-10171-01.rar/file

here is my laptop specs
hp omen 17
INTEL I7-7700HQ
NVIDIA GTX 1070
Toshiba NVMe SSD 256 GB
CRUCIAL 2X8 GB RAM @ 2400Mhz
CRUCIAL SSD 2TB
WINDOWS 10 64-BIT

Last edited:

idris_al_mamri

Prominent
Dec 26, 2021
Apr 25 2014HpqKbFiltr64.sysHP Quick Launch Buttons driver
remove that or update it if there is a version that is from the last 2 years or so.

It was cause of the last BSOD. See if that fixes your problem, or not.

I fell over on 10th December. I have bruised ribs, and if I am not on pain killers, its really hard to sleep at night, and my hand also aches - it was injured at time but I can't normally tell. I now have a month off to recover.

HP Quick Launch Buttons driver is no where to be found in my pc, nothing, i CCleaner and revo installer couldn't find it, however i found the driver itself in C:\Windows\System32\drivers, do i just delete it normally ?

EDIT: its called HP hotkey support not HP Quick Launch Buttons driver, last modified date is the same day i bought this laptop, also couldn't find it installed anywhere, the driver is the only visible thing.

gardenman

Splendid
I think newer versions of AutoRuns are buggy, and that is what is causing the issue. Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/an...uns-v14-can39t-disable-or-delete-entries.html

Apparently version 13.98 works correctly, if you can find a good copy of it from a legitimate source. Be careful about downloading it from questionable sources. I have a original copy of 13.98 but it's discouraged for us to share files with users on here (for obvious security purposes).

They remove the older versions, but after several minutes of searching I finally found a link to 13.98. Give it a try.
https://web.archive.org/web/2020111...oft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

idris_al_mamri

Prominent
Dec 26, 2021
I think newer versions of AutoRuns are buggy, and that is what is causing the issue. Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/an...uns-v14-can39t-disable-or-delete-entries.html

Apparently version 13.98 works correctly, if you can find a good copy of it from a legitimate source. Be careful about downloading it from questionable sources. I have a original copy of 13.98 but it's discouraged for us to share files with users on here (for obvious security purposes).

They remove the older versions, but after several minutes of searching I finally found a link to 13.98. Give it a try.
https://web.archive.org/web/2020111...oft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

ok so i deleted it via the autoruns that you linked me, it disappeared from the driver tab but the driver is still present at C:\Windows\System32\drivers , is there something i'm not noticing or it will be removed later ?

gardenman

Splendid
As long as it's unchecked in Autoruns, and the software that previously loaded it is nowhere to be found on your system, then it's very unlikely that the driver is being loaded at all. Which is what we want. It can stay right where it's at and not be an issue.

Watch for additional BSODs. If you have them, upload the dumps. If the dumps show the driver is still being loaded, then we'll consider removing it at that point. For now, leave it be.

idris_al_mamri

Prominent
Dec 26, 2021
As long as it's unchecked in Autoruns, and the software that previously loaded it is nowhere to be found on your system, then it's very unlikely that the driver is being loaded at all. Which is what we want. It can stay right where it's at and not be an issue.

Watch for additional BSODs. If you have them, upload the dumps. If the dumps show the driver is still being loaded, then we'll consider removing it at that point. For now, leave it be.

ok horrible news, every time i get rid of it, my mouse and touchpad does not work + it goes through boot loop cycle, the only thing that saved me is the point restoration that i made before making this post, this is an official bruh moment

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if windows auto installs that driver,
catch 22 if you need driver but it also causes BSOD if its there.

wonder what version number it is, might let me work out if there is a newer one

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

it will show me the version number.

idris_al_mamri

Prominent
Dec 26, 2021
Colif something funny happen now, it seems the BSOD is gone (not entirely sure if it gonna come back, hopefully not) after i did a entire wipe of the system drive (the drive where i store my files, games..etc is still intact), fast forward few weeks later and then my laptop shuts off while i was watching a youtube video, restarts and boot up, the thing is that majority of my stuff are gone (i can do a restore point and recover, no worries here), not all of them, some remained and some disappeared, but it did produce a minidump file, i opened the minidump folder to check and i was surprised that there was a dump file, i have no idea if the BSOD that i keep encountering and this problem that i got now are related but i hope i can resolve this issue.

here's the dumpfile :

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/aguxwzs4/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:012622-10218-01.dmp (Jan 26 2022 - 06:30:05)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.