The size of an SSD on a laptop

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I'd like to be able to get my kid a new laptop for Christmas, something to replace an old, shabby ROG.

I've come to respect the speed SSDs bring to a system. I think they are just great, but for the price.

What is the size I should consider for a gaming laptop—mid-tier, not high-end? I assume 128 GB is just too damn small, but is 256 GB enough? Is 512 GB the safer bet these days? Obviously, we're looking at the OS and some Steam stuff on the SSD,

And I'd insist on a physical hard drive of at least 1TB in size.

Thanks!

Solution
512 GB would be my recommendation as a minimum size if it will be the only storage on the laptop. Games files are huge these days so they will eat up a drive quickly if they keep a lot of games installed.

If you can pair it with a 2nd drive then a 256 GB is a good choice as that should hold all your core programs and you can save the actual games to the 2nd drive instead.
512 GB would be my recommendation as a minimum size if it will be the only storage on the laptop. Games files are huge these days so they will eat up a drive quickly if they keep a lot of games installed.

If you can pair it with a 2nd drive then a 256 GB is a good choice as that should hold all your core programs and you can save the actual games to the 2nd drive instead.

Solution