Question The slightest bump and laptop screen freezes - Dell Latitude E6230

Rickie_2

Reputable
Oct 3, 2016
Yesterday some new RAM arrived, same voltage/timing/brand/etc. So I opened up my laptop and put it in the spare slot.
When booting, the laptop detected the RAM, I ran the diagnostic tests and all seemed fine. But I was no longer able to boot into Windows after that. It would just black screen.

Defeated, I removed the extra RAM and it wouldn't boot. I put the original RAM in the other slot and THEN it would boot. That'd do, I figured.

That was until I realised that now at the slightest jump or knock, the screen gets artifacts and locks up requiring a hard reset. Is this something caused by me knocking or shorting something out? Nothing looks amiss so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

It now has another issue where sometimes when I try to turn it on, it doesn't even get to the DELL splash screen. It just flashes the battery icon, whether I'm booting it with the battery, with the battery+charger, or with the charger alone. I don't know what to do.

When I can get it to boot into DELL's diagnostic program it gets through it all with no issues found.

Gallery of artifacts here: View: https://i.imgur.com/qs3laGk.jpg

EDIT: I've switched RAM bays again and triple checked it was seated correctly and it seems fine now. But I shall keep this thread up just in case.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY