The socket of a FM2 motherboard will resist the weight of this cooler with only the mounting bridge?

Not_enough_space

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hello to all.

I've been looking for a cooler with a easy installation process (for a FM2 motherboard) and I've seen 2 interesting coolers:

- Be Quiet! Pure Rock
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 13

those two share a similar mounting process; a brigde and two screws, and that's all. If you see the mounting process for Intel sockets in the manual you will see more pieces to install, giving me the impression that if you install one of those two on a Intel socket, it will be more firmly attached that if you install it on a AMD socket.

I'm wrong or really the motherboard will not resist the weight with only the brigde and the screws? also, how much force need to be applied to those bolts?.

Many thanks.

Solution
Ill stick with a 4 way support over a Bridge with just 2 screws, The hyper 212 type installation is easy enough and takes only a few minutes. Over the years I have installed well over 150 of these type of units. I would rather have a 4 point support over a 2 point, less chance for movement and it is easier to fine tune tension.

Not_enough_space

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ uses one of those mountings with 4 arms and a backplate, but as you can see on the installation manual of the Be Quiet! Pure Rock:

http://www.bequiet.com/volumes/PDM/_products/bk009/bk009_mn_en.pdf

the AMD sockets uses only that metal brigde and 2 screws.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Ill stick with a 4 way support over a Bridge with just 2 screws, The hyper 212 type installation is easy enough and takes only a few minutes. Over the years I have installed well over 150 of these type of units. I would rather have a 4 point support over a 2 point, less chance for movement and it is easier to fine tune tension.

Solution

Not_enough_space

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

I see, I think you are right; it makes sense to use a 4 point mounting over one with 2 points for such reasons. I think I will buy that CM.

Many thanks, I will pick your response as the solution. Regards.