The SoundMAX audio driver did not load. You may need to re-install SoundMAX

David Emerson

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
I have bought two of these. Refurbished HP Compaq DC5800 Small Form Factor Desktop PC Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz (E2180), 2GB Memory, 80GB HDD, DVD ROM, Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit Neither of them will produce sound. On boot up I get an error message stating. "The SoundMAX audio driver did not load. You may need to re-install SoundMAX." I have tried re-installing the audio driver but to no avail. I would love and answer to this before I ship back another one of these. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thank you so very much in advance!

David Emerson

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Under "Sound,video and game controllers I have a sub menu. "High definition audio device". Yes I have installed a discrete graphics card into this PC. It is an ATI Radeon HD 4650. Could this be locking out the onboard Audio?

scruge

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have the same system and had the same problem.
When you installed the new video card the system disabled the integrated sound device in the system bios.

All you have to do is at boot up go into your bios settings and enable your integrated audio, save your settings and let windows boot. Your audio drivers will now load and work.

Cavern lesley

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

Thank you scruge , it works perfectly. :) i'm almost planning to get an usb sound card lol.