The Stilt Improves SuperPI Performance on AMD Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
IMO, 41s is quite a lot... even without the frequency difference...
By the way, do you really need liquid nitrogen for the A10-6800K to be running at 4.1GHz?

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Well - that has to do with the particular instruction set. However, didn't enabling that instruction set cause other benchmarks to also drop?

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Assuming linear scaling (which is probably a bad assumption) a 5.0GHz A10-6800K should clock in around 14:38. Of course that linear scaling also suggests the original Richland chip (without the patch) would clock in at 22:15, if set to 4.1GHz. What are the chances someone here will post those numbers so we can see if the scaling is at all close to linear?

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hm...
4% gain on a BIOS patch.
The differential is not large, but its certainly a good thing (especially when we are talking about a simple APU refresh.
It makes one wonder, how many other possible optimizations were missed by manufacturers (who seem to have been giving AMD solutions a hard time left and right in the mobile sector).

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

4,1GHz is stock frequency for 6800K

I think he already is a legend lol... this only makes him more... well, legendary.

AMD should hire him, great addition to their drivers team. considering SuperPI is a part of the benchmark suite on almost every review site, it's amazing that AMD's drivers team didn't figure this out earlier

AMD doesn't really care about 20 year old software that nobody has to use any more. This still doesn't make up for the fact that x87 is pointless towards the future or really even the present. AMD has better things to do than focus on improving performance in a useless benchmark. If they cared at all, they could have put a real x87 instruction decoder on their CPUs.

I agree that SuperPI no longer has any real world applications. however, I must stress again that it is used in almost every benchmark suite on tech review sites. AMD should care about SuperPI and such "useless benchmark" performance because it pays off in marketing. it's just like how Intel's "Intel Inside" stickers have zero relevance, or the boat loads of money they spent buying off OEMs etc. in the end it's all about perception, and even if real-world performance is indifferentiable, the synthetic benchmarks will give people the impression that Richland chips are "worse" than they actually are.

The say $100-500k a year they can spend hiring the Stilt to do some work for them will be way cheaper than the marketing budget they'd need to make up for slower performance in benchmarks etc. besides, that guy knows what he's doing, it's not like he's just some idiot who stumbled upon this.

typicalGeek

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
@ 4.1 GHz this is REALLY not impressive. My old Athlon X2 3800+ (actual clock 2.0 GHz) does the SuperPI 32M in 39:12. So an 8 year old architecture running half as fast takes twice as long to get to the result. Considering it's been several years since the Athlon X2 was released the IPC improvement is basically nothing. And that doesn't even account for how much faster modern RAM and HDD speeds are vs. this old system. (PC3200 DDR-RAM @ 200 MHz, 80GB hard drive)

albert 89

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I'm confused !
Is the instruction set related to the CPU or the motherboard ?
Why would you call an instruction set a BIOS patch for the motherboard ???
And who's responsibility is it to write it in the first place ?
One thing I'm certain about AMD is that it doesn't place any importance on writing proper instruction set code on anything !

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
ASRock Z77 OC Formula. Look it up TH...it has a "SuperPI Tweak" option in the BIOS too. I assume it's disabled by default because it only improves SuperPI while reducing performance elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.