Question The strangest at issue you will ever hear about…

Nov 25, 2022
I have had an issue regarding my pc’s connection to WiFi for about 3 months now. Every single day from 1:14 pm to 3:14 pm (as well as am) my WiFi will suddenly start spiking extremely hard for about 7 seconds, stabilizing for 3, then repeating the process. The only solution is to just restart my pc, which isn’t that big of a deal normally, but is extremely inconvenient when playing competitive games such as Overwatch or valorant. The biggest issue is the unpredictability of the problem. In the 3 months of this issue, I have switched to a completely different ISP (went from Spectrum to AT&T) and still had the problem. I have also purchased a brand new WiFi adapter in hopes that the previous one was messed up, but the problem still arose. I am at a complete loss as to what I need to do to solve this issue. Using Ethernet from my router to pc is unfortunately not possible and using a power line adapter makes my speeds about .3 up and 1 down so that’s also not an option. I would love any and all help!

I have had an issue regarding my pc’s connection to WiFi for about 3 months now. Every single day from 1:14 pm to 3:14 pm (as well as am) my WiFi will suddenly start spiking extremely hard for about 7 seconds, stabilizing for 3, then repeating the process. The only solution is to just restart my pc, which isn’t that big of a deal normally, but is extremely inconvenient when playing competitive games such as Overwatch or valorant. The biggest issue is the unpredictability of the problem. In the 3 months of this issue, I have switched to a completely different ISP (went from Spectrum to AT&T) and still had the problem. I have also purchased a brand new WiFi adapter in hopes that the previous one was messed up, but the problem still arose. I am at a complete loss as to what I need to do to solve this issue. Using Ethernet from my router to pc is unfortunately not possible and using a power line adapter makes my speeds about .3 up and 1 down so that’s also not an option. I would love any and all help!
Most likely suspect is interference from a neighbor using the same wifi channel as you. You could start with the free wifi analyzer in the microsoft store to check which channels are being used by you and your neighbors. Also you could check your own computer's Task Scheduler to see if its running any wifi intensive update or maintenance functions at those times. You could also look around your neighborhood for any businesses that might be performing some sort of activity at those times that would generate a signal which interferes with yours.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
And also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the times the spiking begins.

Other places to look and watch are Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Use both tools but only one tool at a time. Objective being to observe system resources and any changes preceding or during the spiking problem.

Will also second checking Task Scheduler - who knows what all may have gotten tucked into Task Scheduler.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) could also help find the culprit.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Check your router for IP address lease time. Should not really make a difference as I understand the problem. No harm in increasing the lease time.

Lastly, disabling IPv6 may help.

Reactions: dwd999