The Surface Mini Is Officially Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Perhaps because there are hundreds of manufacturers about to start churning out sub-8" Windows 8.1 tablets for incredibly low prices/margins - $100 Windows tablets are almost here.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I wish Windows RT would pick up a little more steam, it's fast, intuitive, and more functional than the typical mobile OS. Running full 8.1 is a lot to ask of a cheapo CPU they put in sub $200 tablets.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

My point is, some people, myself included, don't want "full windows" on a tablet. I have a great desktop for doing "PC stuff". I like my Surface RT because when I want to look up something on the web, it's right there and responsive. I have no desire to run desktop programs on it. The metro apps, IE, and apps from the Windows Store are all I need for a "tablet", and if RT had more support there would be way more apps available.

Now there is plenty of room for full 8.1 tablets, but my point is Microsoft already has RT 8.1 and it works great, why can't any of the hardware companies get behind it? I know RT probably confused people when it came out, and now all you hear is "it doesn't run desktop apps", which it never claimed to do.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Good call, the Surface Pro 3 going bigger screen makes it unique. Pushing a pointless smaller unit into a saturated market would have zero benefit. Next years SP4 will be even better with Broadwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.