Question the system image restore failed an error occurred while performing the recovery operation

Apr 21, 2019
Hi guys i am asking for help here and thanks in advance.

So basically i had windows 10 on my PC ad i decided to do system backup image in case something bad happens to my os, but the problem is did not have an external drive where to put the backup image on; so i basically shrunk my windows C:/ drive ( i have an SSD by the way) and stored that backup in a 30go drive that too from my original C drive. So i wanted to test if its working i turned off my PC and boot from my USB which has a Windows 10 iso on it then installed a brand new version of Windows 10 . After the installation finished i did the settings then i got to my new desktop then i rebooted from my USB clicked repair my computer went to restore image then selected my Drive ( that i shrunk earlier from my actual C Drive) AND I GOT THIS ERROR : ##the system image restore failed an error occurred while performing the recovery operation##

PLEASE HELP ME

If you can't get the image to work, when windows installs over another windows installation, it creates a file C:\Windows.old with all your personal files and directories in. It should only be a matter of cutting and pasting your saved directories over the new directories.

BTW, the Windows.old files can be very large, in my case 20g, so with such a small SSD, you may have simply run out of drive space for windows to install the image file (usually Windows will have figured this out before it starts the install, but with Windows 10 you never know). You might want to move the windows.old file to another drive, then try image the C drive again.

Last edited:
Colif, what's with your flashing graphic? Anytime you respond to a post, and I am trying my own response, your graphic freezes every 5-10 seconds or and so are my keystrokes (this only happens when I am typing or moving the mouse cursor). Once it unfreezes (I'm sure it's my less than robust PC), my keystrokes are remembered, but it's a little annoying. BTW, it's not a big deal and I don't want you to think I'm flaming you, I'm just curious if there is a fix. :)

TRENDING THREADS