G

What if your CPU is OC'd? Makes it harder to undervolt the CPU then.

MisfitSELF

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
If you're Overclocking, you're probably not worried about saving 4W are you? If so, buy a <15W CFL and replace a 60W light bulb.

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
See, they already answered that question. In someting lke a Datacenter, saving 4w IS a good thing, when you line up, say, 100 or more hard drives.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I don't think the WD drive is marketed towards the consumer too much, who gives a rat's ass about 4w, your clothes dryer pulls about 5,500w and I don't see people complaining about that. But like the above poster said, if you're talking 100 or even 1,000 drives, that's 400 or 4,000 watts saved.

The only home use I could see for that Green Power drive would be a HTPC, it would be pretty nice for a HTPC I think.

Yeah I'm waiting for those too. Since they will be using platters with a density of 334GB, a 1TB drive will only need to use 3 platters.

That should mean:

1. Less noise (important to me).
2. Less power (negligible in my opinion though)

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
When I overhaul my rig new HDs are second behind a new CPU, Mobo, and Memory upgrade, and this new drive singlehandedly outperforms my RAID0. Still I'd like to see where the Samsung drives fit in with all of this and I'd be curious to see the new Raptors the article hinted at.

-mcg

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
The 1TB Caviar GP would work GREAT in a HTPC where you need low noise, low temps AND lots of space for HD content.

For a gaming/high-performance rig, the Seagate would seem an appropriate choice as it leads on transfer rates. However, if your stacking 4-5 of these side-by-side in a case with only average airflow, heat could be an issue.

Performance-wise, I would still take two or three Raptors in RAID0 (even 4 if peak transfers is priority). Then if I need some "capacity" add 2 or 3 Caviar GP's to my system, which should only contribute negligible heat and noise.

The 5 year warranty is a good thing.

rcfa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
It would be nice if someone would point out the differences between the Seagate ST31000340AS and Seagate ST31000340NS, because Seagate's web site has a way of obfuscating the difference, rather than illuminating the users. e.g. does the NS series do NCQ or not (it's not mentioned, but then I can't imagine that it wouldn't do it in an enterprise drive where it's even more important). On the other hand MTBF is higher for the NS series, but some people claim they are slower (why, and how much?)

valheru

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Was the SATA 1 limiting jumper removed from the seagate drive before testing? From the interface bandwidth result it looks like it was limited. Removing the jumper sets it to SATA 2 improving interface bandwidth to over 240MB/s on my seagate 7200.11 500GB drive.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006

The AS series of drives is the desktop series (Barracuda).

The NS series is the enterprise series (Barracuda ES). They have a higher MTBF and are designed for 24/7 use.

I believe both drives implement NCQ, but I'm not positive.

TonyBoy7848

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Hey Folks,

I just bought 2 WD RE2 1TB GP Hds for my HTPC and am buying 3 more 2 to include in the system (internally - Raid 5 configuration) and the other to have as a spare. I'm also going to buy a couple more to configure and external backup device connected through eSata. I'm just starting to build my system and won't be powering it up until late April. 4W savings and low noise were my choice over speed - I've been assured by WD that playing stored HD Videos through my system connected to my Samsung 61" 1080P projection will work fine. I'll post my complete spec if you're interested. Just wanted to add my two cents worth for now.