Discussion The Threadripper PRO 5995WX — When Will We Get There?

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
When do you think it will happen? Do you think that by 2025-2026 there'll be commercial CPUs for the average user with synonymous or higher performance than that which the 64 core / 128 thread Threadripper PRO 5995WX provides today?

Give it a shot! I would be glad to check up all answers.

Thanks for writing up!

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Will the average user have routine tasks to perform that will benefit from 64cores / 128 threads?? I do a lot of video encoding and with 4K source it comes close to maxing out my 5950x.

I could set up multiple encodes to run concurrently and use more cores but I don't have hundreds of encodes to do on a regular basis.

There are lots of applications that can run highly parallel but I don't know these apply to the 'average' user and there will always be the cost-benefit tradeoff.

Today there are many tasks that the 5995WX is not the best choice to perform. The things that it's optimal for today are not 'average' user tasks.

Ultimately, manufacturers will produce what there is a market for...certainly in 3 or 4 years time, the 'average' performance will have substantially increased as will the workstation-server targeted cpu performance.

Reactions: jnjnilson6