The time service keeps resetting my system clock, event ID 52 with huge offset

sovereign110

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure if this is a software (Windows) problem or hardware, but I've had it for awhile now and it's starting to get annoying. Basically, my PC will randomly reset my system clock to whatever I last set it to (or, whatever I last synched the time to). For example, this morning I synched it with time.windows.com at 9:04am, and throughout the day today at random intervals the clock will reset to 9:04am. It's particularly annoying when I'm watching Netflix and the sudden time warp apparently causes silverlight to get confused and crash.

Anyway, I looked in the event viewer and whenever it happens, I get event ID 52 with a huge offset value. For example, the last event read "The time service has set the time with offset 13511026518786103 seconds."

Any idea what's going on? The motherboard is practically brand new so I don't know how the battery could be failing already or anything like that. Could it be an issue with a Windows setting?

Solution
doesnt really matter mate the bios clock should keep good time no matter whether it gets synced regularly or not.
its really only of use to mobile users traveling through different timezones. most of us can leave it disabled without issue.

bazzarooney

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Try checking your region settings to ensure you are in the correct time zone and use pool.ntp.org as your time server. The microsoft one is notoriously unreliable due to the heavy load it gets. If you are still having problems, try the following:

1- Open elevated command prompt and run:
W32TM /unregister
WT32TM /register
2- Reboot PC

I use Nettime for other applications but maybe it will work for you, for this.
http://timesynctool.com/

Run it as a service with maybe a 60/120 second update interval and pick at least 2 time sync servers closest to you.

thats a normal symptom of a dying bios battery. replace it as soon as you can.
just to be sure though check the time just before you turn it off tonight and then check the time as soon as you boot it tomorrow. if its the battery you will find its likely missing a few hours or has reset completely to the default time and date.
the motherboard may be new to you but but it could have been sitting on a shelf in a shop or in direct sunlight for a long time before you got it.