The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey, if I was paid to fold. I'd do it in a heart beat!

FYI...The reason why I'm not taking folding that seriously is because there is already a cure for 95% of diseases out there. Eating healthy foods is the cure! I've seen it and I've seen it proven over and over again.

However, I do like the science of folding. It's pretty cool watching your computer calculate all the proteins.

Steve Jobs tried that approach, didn't work out for him IIRC.

logainofhades

Titan

Even people with a very healthy lifestyle can end up getting cancer. I honestly do not believe doctors know what really causes it. Once you lose family members, to cancer, your attitude also changes. At least it did for me. Same goes for alzheimer's.

I've seen many people will all kinds of cancer getting healed by simply eating a healthy raw food diet.

But I digress.

No, you are talking out of your arse.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
I have 14 cores and two GPUs fired up and testing. Another half dozen cores will be coming online in a day or two, and I need to figure out how to fire up my CentOS server, that'll give me another half dozen. I need to keep a few cores per machine free because they do have other tasks... lol

For those having problems with the Nvidia GPUs, I'm not sure where they might be going haywire. I have no problems using either one of my GTX 960s or my old GTX 630 in the server. I just had the basic drivers installed, installed the F@H, it detected the GPU and started putting both of them to work (I had to remove one as I do need to use the system)... Same thing with the older GT630.

As for those debating the causes of cancer - I was diagnosed with Hodgkins stage 3 about a year and a half ago. Never smoked, never touched drugs, drank rarely, exercised regularly, no fast food, lo and behold - I had cancer. I was exactly the last person people would have expected to have it. However, I didn't screw around with it either trying different diets etc or crying about it - went right to chemo. Worst six months I've had to deal with - it sucked. Good news - I'm clear and have been so for a year. Four more years of monitoring to go. There's not much rhyme or reason to it, think about what it really is - some cells in your body that go a little haywire and don't shut down their growth when they're supposed to - it can happen to anyone.

Gonna hack on my CentOS box now - see if I can't crank things up to a nice respectable level over here. :D

Harsh story, glad it went into remission.

That particular form of cancer can be caused by a virus, so in that case living healthy or unhealthy is completely irrelevant anyway.

As for raw foodism, it's another of the many health scams out there. There's a huge industry raking in the cash off people's ignorance or misfortune.

When it comes to the causes of cancer, it's such a mixed bag. Cancer comes in so many different forms, some of which are very well understood and others which are not. It gets even more complicated when you include the other types of diseases that folding@home is contributing to research on, like Alzheimer's.

On a personal note, my father died of colorectal cancer. About 6 months after being diagnosed, he was gone. Today, the advances in treatment would likely have kept him alive for 2+ years, or maybe even indefinitely. We owe that to science, where the smartest people check what works and what doesn't. If I can contribute to that progress in a small way by lending my gaming PC's use to Stanford, I'll gladly do that.

Just joined up now. The web control panel is estimating 783,000 points per day.
Hope it helps. Just running 2 x GPU's without the CPU atm.
I could dig out my old R9 380X and shove that in there as well for a few more points.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Hi guys I'm new to folding. My folding name is allenkm3. I have a 4790k (about 30k ppd) and a GTX 970 (about 280k ppd). With the CPU so much less than the GPU, does it make sense to use the CPU for BOINC instead or just not fold with it? How many of us are active? I just cracked the top 100 for Tom's team but I seem to be passing people who aren't active in the last 50 days and have thousands more work units but now less points.

logainofhades

Titan
You are passing a bunch of people that folded back when the points were lower, most likely. When I made the switch to THG, I had the same thing. With the competition coming, use all the resources you have. Every PPD counts.

Usually I think we have like 35-40 people folding at any given time, maybe a few more. But obviously the competition has attracted some more interest, which is great to see.

There are over a thousand people who have contributed to our team in the past but aren't currently active. Just the way things go.

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
Well guys, this competition has done it. I'm defecting. 135mil points for my old team which deleted our forums some time ago, and I was still holding out. My piddly 650 Ti (year round folder) and two R9 290s (supplemental winter heat - good competition timing, that...in the northern hemisphere, anyway) should drop their first points (averaging 406,602 PPD on EOC right now) for team 40051 sometime tomorrow.

Pleasure to meet you all!

Welcome aboard and yes that 380X should be good for 130k - 150k PPD.

Welcome aboard, in regards to the CPU I have found that if you are using Nvidia cards then folding on the CPU actually holds back the GPU and the points lost is more than the CPU actually makes.

Welcome aboard, it's great to have you join us.

Will the FAHClient make use of an iGPU?

I have enabled the Intel HD 530, but it isn't showing up within the client unfortunately. It is running though, according to HWMonitor.

I have decided to go 'all out' and also have the CPU working now :)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Guys, I goofed on the start and end times for this. My time zone conversion is awful. The start and end times should be 1 pm EST, or 18:00 UTC, which will coincide with EOC's tracker updates. I've changed the post in this thread to reflect that, and will be updating the news article for it momentarily.

Please excuse my error, and many apologies for any confusion or inconvenience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS