The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In my experience folding on the CPU as well as the GPU(s) has always been counter productive.

Now the race is on. Please remember that you can recruit more racers, add, borgh, assimilate and upgrade computers to add to the race.
The more the merrier!

@RedJaron, get those "other" rigs up and running!

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

Have you tried to add a slot for the iGPU? From Advanced Control panel: Configure/Slots/Add

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

Yes, sort of. You should leave TWO threads/cores available to the GPU. Also consider the operating system processes/virus protection/web browsing, etc, thus two, not just one.

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

Yeah, we (AnandTech) always have a December Race, and thus an Arms Race too, lol. Usually the Arms race (more GPU's) happens mid December when we THINK we can beat so and so. But this time a couple of us started ramping up hardware a few months early. :D

Actually, our top three (24 hour actual, not 7 day average) goes 8M or more, ~6.3M, and ~3.3M. ;)

Good to see you have many new last minute joiners! Might be an interesting week after all! :p

Although I'm sure it won't be too much help compared to the other high end workstations, I'm even going to break out my Celeron 1037u machine and my i3 540 machine for this competition. I guess I've also found a use for those old GTX 760 ti's. I'll be setting up the clients in a few moments.

Good luck to all miners on the Tom's Hardware team! This is my favorite site on the internet, let it be victorious!

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
I just powered up a quadcore xeon box with a GTX 960. Set threads to 6, set the GPU to process, cranked it up to full powah. Also got my webserver stealing 6 cores - it's cranking now too. That puts me up to:

Main Rig: Xeon X3470 (6 cores) + GTX 960.
Webserver: Xeon X3450 (6 cores)
Support server: Xeon X3450 (6 cores) + GT 630 <- yeah it's a wimp, but it's all she's got..
Random box: Xeon E3-1230 (6 cores) + GTX 960.

That's 24 cores, 2 moderate GPUs, one pathetic GPU. Everything else are weak dual cores (media servers), so they won't help much. Generating some heat. Lol.

uguv

Distinguished
I brought my old PC out of mothballs to start folding on that too. I don't suppose folding event supports the old 8800 GTX I retired years ago?

My folding machines:
1) i7 6700K, GTX 1070
2) i5 6500, GTX 1050 ti
3) i3 6300, RX 480
4) i3 540, GTX 760 ti
5) FX 8350 (5.2GHz), R9 280X
6) Celeron 1037u, HD 5450
7) Core 2 Duo T7600, no discrete graphics (laptop)

This month's power bill is going to be atrociously high xD

Our old folding thread was pretty low-profile. This competition is really spreading the word. :)

Yeah I know the feeling. Maybe time for an upgrade, but this VR stuff's been hogging my tech budget and now it's Christmas.

I did see a GTX 1080 for £277 on Amazon that I would have bought anyway... if it hadn't been a pretty obvious scam attempt.

logainofhades

Titan
Thought about putting my gt 730, into my system, to fold alongside my 780ti. My G2 750, should handle that. Just wonder how well it would actually work?

Well I put it in, and my PPD took quite the jump. I think the client has lost its mind.

itCkKKW.png

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Can confirm, adding a dissimilar GPU confuses the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.