The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well you just answered that question I was about to ask you. :lol: Although I was only hearing it about the 375 drivers. Wasn't aware the 376 was out yet.

Yeah just downgrade to 372.70 and you should be good to go.

https://foldingathome.stanford.edu/2016/10/27/core-21-openmm-gpu-issues-new-windows-nvidia-drivers-375-57-375-63/

logainofhades

Titan
Looks like it straightened itself out, on the PPD recording. Now I am getting 280-290k.

Edit- Decided to change the GPU slots around, to the way they should be, and it is climbing again. :lol: Hopefully in an hour, or so, it will straighten itself out again.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah 373.06 is the last stable Nvidia driver for folding currently.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Just replaced my gtx 950 with a gtx 1070. Getting about 661943 ppd with just the 1070. Going to miss the old 950 though, it was near silent no matter what I did to it.

Now just giving a heads up to everyone, I am starting to work on updating our aging guide.

Definitely been needing a fresh coat of paint for a long while but i'd say it's stood up fairly well to the times being the fact that I made it in mid-2012 and only had a minor update in 2013 and it still pretty much relevant.

Anyways, this will probably take the course of multiple days as a lot of things will need to be done and I'm in the planning phase of how I want to go about it.

No timeline for any of these things being completed but it will be done eventually.

Just of list of what is happening:

• Pruning old content
    Adding new content
    Fixing and/or updating old images
    Changing directions and links with new website in mind.
    "Possible" new guide *will be last thing done*

In case what your wondering about "new website" that I mentioned, if it flown under the radar for you like it has for me till today, F@H got a new website you can check out here. https://foldingathome.stanford.edu/

The old site is still up but im not sure how long it will be up (probably only a few more months knowing the F@H group) so I'll be proactive and start linking everything there and changing the instructions reflecting that.

As for the new guide, it'll be the very last thing done and the old one wont go away (unless we really like the new one) but I wanted to try some new styles that could make it better. Like making the guide shorter without loosing any info (current guide is really long and involves a lot of scrolling even with linked table of contents at the top).

Although that's a more distant thing that'll probably wont even happen (or at least wont be finished) within this month.

Anyways, thought I would bring that up before I started doing mass changes. :)

Speaking of updating the guide.... EXT64, Mousemonkey, beanoslim, and Haserath. Are we still a Committee? I totally forgot about that we formed such a group till I looked at that section of our guide. :lol:

I certainly haven't been a great committee member if I just (for the most part) disappear for 3 years and then forget I was apart of one. :kikou:

and just before I go to sleep, I was checking EOC stat page to see how were doing and I spot something a bit funny (Caught the server in the middle of an update).

hmmm....._zps40tfwahf.png~original

Yep. -4 Million points today guys! Were doing good! :rofl:

Anyways, I just wanted to point out something to the team and that we've hit a new milestone!

Haven't seen this team break the 30 Million Points earned in just 1 day (32,471,331). Gratz to everyone!

way-to-fold.gif

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Woohoo! I'm in the top 100 :-D

Well, actually the top 90... Is anyone going to update on the Tom's vs Anand battle? Although it looks like they're still managing to fold over 1m more than us every 3 hours...

Lets step it up guys (and gals)!

Well I ran an exponential regression on our daily point totals for November 27 through December 1. R = 0.9856 so it actually fits reasonably well. And it turns out by December 31 we will be producing 2 billion points per day. :bounce: :D

And by the end of next year we'll be producing 1.1 x 10^32 points per day. That's 110 nonillion points (for reference, it goes million, billion, trillion, quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion, nonillion).

Vega better bring some good folding performance.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

I managed to move from 470ish to 220 on the TH team. Hmm... not fair, you have twice as many clients running. :)

36928239.jpg

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

I'll let you into a little secret. I'm leveraging a free Azure account with 6 x 4 core VM's folding at around 12k each as well as my main rig (which is bringing in around 680k) ;-)

I figure I should have a couple of days of free credit left before regular programming is resumed. From what I could tell, this was within the rules? :-D

As Tesco say, every little helps!

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

That line is definitely on the way upward - weekly view is even steeper. Way to fold!!

*Listens to the soothing white noise of basement with 5 rigs folding at full blast* (wife only lets me keep one in the bedroom :))

Totally legit IMHO. :D

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

You just need to tell her they are loud blinky heaters to keep her warm at night.

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I am surrounded by geniuses!!

Aaaand now to see how quickly i can burn $200 of free Azure credit...

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

Its just a shame that they limit free VM's to 4 cores. I'd love to give one of their 64 core, 6 GPU compute machines a run to see what it could do :)

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Thank you for this! I wanted to update my one nvidia folder finally but was leery of 375. Just grabbed 372.70 (it was still on 347.52...it's a headless machine so it doesn't get a lot of love)

I think maybe it depends on the region? I also struck out trying to make a GPU megabeast, but I managed to spool up a 16 core (2 socket x 8 core) one, only 2.4GHz so looks like about 60k PPD and will use my credit in a couple days, but as you said, every little...

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
If anyone is curious, here are the points for each team in the last 24 hours.

Tom's hardware : 33,471,293

AnandTech: 44,972,315

Difference: -11,501,022

So if you are part of the Tom's Hardware community and want to help us beat AnandTech please help us fold. As you can see we need it :).

Wow, that's crazy! I would of NEVER expected AnandTech to be ahead of us at all!

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Well nuts. Guess I'll have to buy myself an early Xmas present (heh, like I need an excuse). Can't let them get away with this outrage!

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

That's what I said when I got my new GPU. It's for charity so it's okay ;)

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

She has a couple of sisters if you are interested :p. Can't post any pics though, they are quite risqué in that old Greek mythology way ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.