The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Oh, I don't watch it ether. That makes sense though :p :(

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

Mine finished pretty abruptly as well, its surprising how quickly you can get through it when using 100% CPU :)

I'm making just over 800k daily currently, its just not enough! we're way behind :(

Well, no reason to concede. The points still count, and if we keep up the pressure they don't get an excuse to slack off.

And hey, if they overtake us in December, maybe we can catch back up in the following months. Looks like they take competition season VERY seriously over there (seriously, they were doing 30 million per week just a couple months ago, now they're bordering on 50 million per DAY).

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

Oh I'm definitely not giving up - just trying to find more ways to fold!

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
It would have been nice if we could have had a month long race (our annual competition runs from Dec 1, to Jan 1), but Purch wanted this one done in time to be able to donate to the charity. Anandtech will be going strong the whole month, but we may lose some contributors after this first week and the race with you is technically done. Doesn't mean we can't keep fighting, err, competing though! That would give you some additional time to sweet talk your personal finance advisor into allowing you a new toy or two!

yeah and next time we fight, i think well be better prepared! As we now know you guys have more guns and ammo under the hood than what meets the eye. :lol:

This certainly scraped that rust off our backs when it comes to competitions though. Think the last time we were apart of a competition was assisting overclockers team with the chimp challenge but that was a while ago. (Man i still miss Adak when i think about the chimp challenge.)

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Ack! The machine is down! My 970 fanblade broke and now the thing wobbles the whole case and makes a terrible noise.

Of course, I finished the work unit :) and then had to take the GPU offline. The CPU is..the CPU. New 1080 arrives on Thursday anyway though so good timing but bad for the competition. I'll help us catch up and pass them again after the tournament.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Oh wow good news, it was the CPU fans making all the racket. So GPU is folding again, but it's just a 970 so 300k a day.

(Although the 970 fanblade DID break and it does wobble.)

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

Snip/unplug the fans leads and point a spare 120mm fan at it if it gets worse. And quit poking your fingers in the fans!

When the 1080 arrives, are you going to fix the 970 fan yourself?
vym528.jpg

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I think I'm going to try, I'm hoping to be able to use the 1080 and 970 at same time to fold, but the 1080 is a "three slot" design so I haven't looked but I think it might mean they can't both fit with my motherboard.

And it wasn't my finger that broke the blade, I bought a holder thing because the card was sagging and managed to set the rubber standoff right into the fan instead of the card structure to hold it up! Dumb mistake, loud noise, crack and plastic part flying in the case.

Now I have to figure out why my CPU fans are making so much noise...must be a loose screw or something.I'll fix it all when the 1080 arrives

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Had a small power outage yesterday (which may or may not have been related to me putting the Christmas lights up...), but we're back online now :)

Still trying to find some more emergency folding power!

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I managed to crack 750k in a day (pretty sure that's a first for me) but I don't think I will quite hit that again now that that the extra ~60k from Microsoft's assistance are no more. Still having a blast though, I've got some pretty silly things folding - like an Athlon X2 and a GT 730 :pt1cable:

I take solace in the fact that, although AnandTech are giving us a whooping, their PPD increase, as a percentage, from day 1 to day 4 was 'only' ~55% - we jumped over 75% (I know, lies damn lies and statistics... :))

I will sure as shootin' be more ready next time!

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
The stats for December 5, 2015 are here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/11th-annual-folding-home-holiday-season-3-way-race.2489602/

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Would it be against the rules to ask the community (not this one, my local one) fir help? They're not on Tom's but it is private property, I could give them my pass code and username, have them use the team number, and rack up points. People love this $&^! on face book.

if only you could shoe horn 2 GTX 1070s (or used 980ti's) into a U2 Case.... That would fill you PPD quota right there.

You can ask for help. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/11th-annual-folding-home-holiday-season-3-way-race.2489602/

Please remember: joining, recruiting as well as borghing, assimilating and upgrading hardware is allowed and encouraged.

Although base on F@H rules (from guys that run F@H), I would not recommend giving out your passkey.

Each new recruit should have their own name and passkey. That way, if someone does something that is against the rules set forth by F@H, it's not your account that will be getting wiped and/or you getting blamed for it.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Sounds good. I'll make an anand tech account and be sure from there. I was just hoping to make it easier so people don't just not becuase its "too hard"

You could always make a separate account/passkey for all the 'other people'. Keep things simple yet still separate from yours.

Looks like this might be my first 3 million point day. Yay! :D

This really is everything reasonably useful I've got.

Sadly same here.

wish i could hijack my sister 1070.... Would be generating a 1+ Million PPD...

To bad that not only she games a lot, but she is using a newer driver that doesn't fold at all and I dont plan on downgrading her driver for just a few days. (She also turns her computer off while sleeping so it would of been a waste of my time anyways).

Could try overclocking my 980ti even harder to squeeze out a few more points... I did forget that I've overclocked this card to 1520Mhz (after finding some old pics from a year ago). although that was on Core 18 Wu's and not 21. Not sure I would want to try to see if these WU's would be stable at such speed though during this competition... (Since I've been really stable at my current 1470Mhz speed (or more like 1457Mhz after passing the 67c mark).

Old image from last year.
overvolt_zpsgdrgbe1k.png

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Ne0Wolf7: Of course you can do that. :) I wouldn't do the passkey though, someone could change your team, for example.

EXT64: Congrats on the high score!

warmon6: That's a heck of an overclock! Well done.

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

It would not be against any rules from the racing point of view. I would however, strongly recommend that you create a separate community account, get 10 WUs folded, get a passkey, etc. That way the community sees what the community is doing, what results they get, etc, which may encourage them to fold more ...
Please remember to share the correct team-number: 198 :bounce: or, if you really want to: 40051 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.