The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Why does my client "estimated points per day" always stay between 350k and 400k but my actual points per day (reported by extremeoverclocking.com) is like 300k? Is the client just flat out wrong? Is it always so optimistic?

The client takes the current wu and calculates that if you fold that particular unit for 24 hours that will be your ppd.

If you then get a wu that doesn't generate so many ppd it will drop right down while folding that one.

For example my 980ti can show anything from 450k ppd - 800k ppd dependant on wu.

Actual ppd on EOC would be around 600k.

The EOC stats are actual, so its the accumulation of all the different wu's added together.

Plus I don't think the client is actually that accurate, always go via EOC.

I think :??:

Yeah the client isn't super-accurate. Depends on the WU a bit as well, some have the expected PPD go up and down over time.

Damn that's epic, well done.

I can't do much, my little R9 290 is giving it all she's got... when I can resist the temptation to pause and run some games with my brand new Oculus Touch controllers. Good thing we're close to the finish line on the race.

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I'm hoping today will be my first 2m+ point day :)

I've brought in the big guns for this now, a couple of 32 core (64 thread) servers running at around 700-900ppd, as well as my gaming rig. Should be a good day!

I've got the 980Ti running at 1456 Clock and 7800 on the Mem for this race too, so literally everything I have (keeps my office warm though!)

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

Browsing through it, not seeing any failures at least since I reverted my Nvidia drivers.

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Now i'm wondering what's the GPU with most PPD I could squeeze into the Silverstone SG05BB mini-itx case - got a used R9 270X in it right now. Also waiting for a single card worth replacing the R9 290s with, then I can have those in reserve for 'emergencies' like this past week :)

Congrats, that's epic!!

Good luck! I realized I had one more smaller rig at my disposal and spooled that up as well, then a power outage knocked me out yesterday for almost 4 hours until I could go home at lunchtime :-/

I finally squeezed in, will see how long it lasts :)

Well not factoring the SFX PSU, you should be able to fit gpu cards up to 10 inches. So you *might be able to fit a refferance/founders card in there. (might as they're normally 10.5 inches long so it could be a squeeze.

If not then I would say the GTX 1070 would be your choice are they come in ITX sizes (6 to 8 inches.).

Gigabye https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nQPzK8/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-mini-itx-oc-video-card-gv-n1070ixoc-8gd

Zotac https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4fyxFT/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10700g-10m

also giving the heads up from me that it looks like im done folding for the rest of the competition. I'll be back to my night-time folding.

Having some odd power flickers going on in my area (not sure why as were just having a very light rain storm) and its been causing some weird issues with my system (like F@H only using 20% of the gpu and/or being clocked at 400~800 Mhz (most of the time the issues are separate but have seen them both happen the same time.)

Also have failed a WU with all this going on (luckly I had clicked the finish button when i start to notice the problems so it was only 1 WU).

Yeah I just going to shut down for a bit till the power starts to normalize in my area.

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Here are the stats for the fifth day of the competion: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/11th-annual-folding-home-holiday-season-3-way-race.2489602/

The race will end December 7, 2016, at 18:00 UTC.

Edit: date corrected.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Actually, it's slated to end on the 7th (tomorrow), as that was the originally proposed and agreed upon date. Not quite a full week, I realize, so I'm certainly open to extend it the extra day if requested; however, I do think the winner in this race has become quite clear and it doesn't look to be a gap that can be closed with an extra 24 hours :)

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Hmmm... Well, I've got something coming in that I need to test. Saw it stupidly cheap and figured out why the hell not. When it comes in and I see if I can get it running and get some performance numbers, I'll put up some pics. My basement rig should be uniquely suited to handle it, and it should be interesting to say the least.

Boy, I hope I don't fry something. Lol.

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Sorry to hear about the power issues warmon6, you definitely don't want to be running full power during a low voltage brown-out. The spike in amperage could fry a good many things.

TeAm AnandTech was really really (really) hoping to not only beat you for this race, but to also surpass your total score. So please vote to extend the race to the 8th, so that we can (possibly) do that. ;)

For all your new recruits who may be thinking of ceasing to fold after the race is concluded, hey, if it's cool/cold in your area, and you're running electric heat anyway......why not continue to fold to produce 'intelligent heat'?

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Post corrected.
But I'll still do the stats for one more day --- for the fun of ot!

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I do think I would want to get a shorter card since things are pretty tight in that case, thanks! Only got the 450W silverstone 80 plus bronze in it, but with a 55W i3 and not much else to power, I think it would manage. Time to start saving up!

That stinks, hope the electric co. gets their act in gear for ya. UPSes don't exactly run full-tilt folding for very long :-/

Yeah you'll be fine. I remember people running GTX 780ti's and Core i7 4770k on it (or maybe it was the gold variant of the psu... cant fully remember) when i was looking to build in my RVZ01 case at the end of 2014.

And combining your i3 cpu with a hypothetical GTX 1070 would use quite a bit less power than that hardware setup.

If your curious, since I mentioned about my RVZ01, this is my system right here: (also been updated to include new ram (from 8GB to 16GB) and a 2TB SSHD)

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/PPd6Mp

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

A day or 2 later, I got an email from Microsoft saying they suspended my trial for violating the terms of service. Apparently pegging free VMs at 100% CPU is no longer allowed in the year 2016, so it really did end prematurely. Big change from 4 years ago when Microsoft employees were blogging with instructions on how to use your free Azure time to contribute to FAH... If it wasn't free money I'd be a lot more miffed.

Sounds like we had similar reasons for building these 2 machines. Nice to see i'm not the only one who ganked at least one of those super cheap Silicon Power SSDs too :) At the time, I was traveling for work every couple months and wanted something I could fit in a backpack and hook up to a hotel TV with HDMI. It started life with a Pentium and upgraded to the i3 a year later when Amazon had a sale - i3-3240 for $100. Eventually the GTX 650 Ti made way for the ebay'd R9 270X 4GB. The 650 Ti was only 1GB which really held it back for games. It's still folding in my server 24/7/365 though. If Zen knocks my socks off (*fingers crossed here, AMD*) I might save up to do a server re-do around an 8c/16t AMD and then steal the i5-3570 from the server for the SFF rig.

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I believe the last points that will count are those made up through the 1pm U.S. Eastern time EOC stats update today. Although sounds like some might continue for another day, today is the end of the official competition

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
An official final count of points tallied over the course of the race:

TH 212,467,005
AT 296,180,869

Oof. You guys got beat, but you put up a great effort and you've hit some great milestones, outproducing your regular numbers by a wide margin. Don't let this defeat bring you down! Use it as motivation, keep bringing in new recruits, and ready yourselves for the eventual rematch!

I'll be sending these stats to our writers who will announce the results via a news post. It'll be hard for Tom's Hardware's EIC Fritz Nelson to concede defeat, but AT has definitely earned it—and they wouldn't have gotten there without you guys pushing them to their limits!

Great, now they know we're going to fire back. Thanks for letting them know. Now they're going to outdo us again.

Why must you let the enemy know our battle plan?

I'm just kidding, they'll beef up their systems no matter what we do or say.

Status
Not open for further replies.