The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
As the race organizer, I would like to thank you all for a great race. Without the race between us TeAm AnandTech would probably not have had the number of folders who have taken part ... 56 is an all-time high! We had to give all of our resources to get ahead of you.
IMHO, the real winners are the projects behind Folding@Home and the charity - Childs' Play - which will receive a substantial contribution from Purch.

Here are the stat as of December 7, 2016, @18:00 UTC: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/11th-annual-folding-home-holiday-season-3-way-race.2489602/

Thanks again for your efforts!

petrusbroder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

Well, if I am alive and well, there will be a 12th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race in December 2017. You would be very much welcome for a re-match! It has been really productive and fun.

Petrusbroder
the organizer and stats master for the Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Races

Pokey_TA

Reputable
Dec 7, 2016

Enjoyed the race, of course, and looking forward to doing it again next year.

I have re-discovered your web site because of the race and am glad I did.

We got beat, and because they used the powerful GPUs, like sli 1080, 1070, etc. My main PC ( gtx970) only put up 300k PPD. I think they are hard to beat.

I have a 670 slapped onto a 760 PCB. I can't really say that my 760 ti offered too much help as I had to power down my other systems since they were drawing too much power.

And great job Tom's Hardware team for not letting Anandtech pass us during the race :D

Lets be sure to retake our lead soon and pad it in the off season!

Interestingly they haven't caught my Azure clients yet. I'm sure they will figure out soon, but until then happy folding!

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
I will be ready for the next match. Currently managed to more than double my output (700k ppd now) and with some stuff coming in it should be interesting to see how that works out. :D I may need a new PSU. Something in the 1.2kwatt range.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

What did you buy two of?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

I bought three. :D They came in this morning and they're relatively huge. Hahaha. My board is an Asus P7F7-E WS capable of quad SLI, and I'm REALLY curious to see what these will be capable of. I'm only going to plug in one though at the moment to see if it's even going to work, and be worth it.

It's going to be a secret cause I know we have Anandtech spies in here. Lol.

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I'm not a spy! I'm a.....uhm.....ambassador! Yeah....diplomatic immunity and all that! I pass info BOTH ways. ;) The good new for "you guys" is that "us guys" mostly all upgraded already. Next year, possibly the coming months, your team will be far more challenging, I predict. :)

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Save your lies for the trial!

:)

And as for challenging, I'm aiming for 1m ppd myself. I'm at 700k right now and with these three behemoths of indeterminate origin which shall remain secret, I'm thinking that should be easily possible. For some reason though I have been unable to find any certain ppd stats for them.

Let me guess, you bought three Titan X (Pascal) cards.

I arrived at this possibility because they're too new to have much research on their PPD yet.

You also said that you weren't sure if it would work. I think this is a hint that you got a newer card that doesn't officially support more than 2-way SLI.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Nope. Stupidly cheap was exactly that. And I don't have $4500 sitting around. That would be crazy. I actually could use a new car... lol.

Many sites and even retail stores are willing to set up payment plans if you don't have the funds right away. :)

10esseetony

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015

A single GTX980 would give you 375k-400k ppd, for about 165 watts and $250. No need for a new PSU. In fact I've three I'll probably put up for sale soon, now that we toasted AND surpassed Tom's. :D I may even sell my fleet of 980Ti's for $350ea. I have more heat than I need to make it through the mild winter season.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Welp, not gonna work with what I have. Well, it -could- work if I wanted a different card - but then I'd have to replace the 960s with a slower card which isn't gonna happen. I had some Teslas. Got them way cheap. But - to get them to run I had to also have a Quadro which would be much slower than the two 960s. Grrr... Those could have been fun to get running as those are BUILT to compute. Grumble grumble grumble.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Argh I can't find enough power cables for the new 1080. Off to eBay then wait another week until I can use my 1080. Can my 1080 run with just one 8 pin cable?

If your card comes with more than 1 8 pin, yes you must connect all power cables for the card to work.

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Well I've had to cease on the folding for now - the competition seemed too much for my i7 4790k and it now won't stay stable when running all 4 cores :-(

Further investigation seems to show that possibly my MB has been providing it with too much voltage, as I never set it manually and left it to its own devices. I suppose i'll have to make do with just 3 cores until I can afford to replace it :(

Sad times. On a positive note though, I managed to post the highest numbers i've ever done :)

Maybe i'll save up and upgrade to a dual socket Xeon E5 setup in the future. 72 threads anyone? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.