The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

First, THANKS FOR FOLDING!

If you go into the bios , usually under power settings.
You will find an option to restart the computer after a power loss.
Different boards call it different names, but it will restart the computer if you have a blip,power loss,brown out etc...
And folding continues.

I have regular power and internet outages, just part of living in a rural area.

theyeti87

Honorable
I'll be switching teams today from Reddit's PCMR team to the Tom's team. Looking forward to contribute the horsepower of my R7 260X, GTX 660, and GTX 1060. ~350k PPD or more, depending on the project.

Welcome and thank you.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Yo fams, what do you think about the new super-high core/thread AMD and Intel CPUs? Brings back memories of the old bigadv days and people jerryrigging ES Xeons on 2P 4P mobos.

Welcome to the team! :bounce:

Yo fams, what do you think about the new super-high core/thread AMD and Intel CPUs? Brings back memories of the old bigadv days and people jerryrigging ES Xeons on 2P 4P mobos.

Im certainly curious on how they'll preform. Although thats about it ATM.

What is this? F@H giving us more than a months notice before something will happen? Who are they?!?!?

FOLDING@HOME SERVERS MAINTENANCE SCHEDULED SHUTDOWN JULY 6& 7TH, 2017
May 24, 2017
by Theresa Derner

Hello Everyone,

SERVERS DOWN JULY 6 & 7,2017

The Stanford Research Computing Facility hosting some of our key Folding@home servers will be carrying a maintenance to their electricity system on Thursday & Friday, July 6 &7th. We expect F@H to be down those days. So please prepare for outage. Sorry for the inconvenience it may cause!

Best,

Folding at Home team!

http://folding.stanford.edu/2017/05/24/foldinghome-servers-maintenance-scheduled-shutdown-july-6-7th-2016/

At least we'll know those days will be unproductive for every team.

I've been getting a lot of these the past couple weeks.
Some times it if for a few minutes, and sometimes a couple hours. I find out about it when I get home.
Any Ideas?????
22:49:51:WU01:FS01:Requesting new work unit for slot 01: RUNNING gpu:1:GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] from 171.67.108.105
22:49:51:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.67.108.105:8080
22:49:51:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Server did not assign work unit
22:49:51:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.67.108.45:80
22:49:51:WU01:FS01:Assigned to work server 171.67.108.105
22:49:51:WU01:FS01:Requesting new work unit for slot 01: RUNNING gpu:1:GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] from 171.67.108.105
22:49:51:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.67.108.105:8080
22:49:52:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Server did not assign work unit

Any and all responses welcome, as it is hurting our teams points.

Found some info about it and it's nothing wrong with your system(s).

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30024&start=90#p295616

Re: WU's Not Being Assigned by 171.67.108.102/171.67.108.105
Postby msultan » Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello everyone,
I apologize for the late response. 171.67.108.105 is my WS, which has been given assignemnts by the WS even though it has no assignable jobs. We are currently trying to fix the problem with the AS where it keeps sending jobs to my WS. In the meanwhile, I have reduced the priority of my WS so that it doesn't assign jobs as frequently(it is currently 1/10 of the original value).

I am terribly sorry for all the problems that this issue is causing everyone. We appreciate all of your support and hope this doesn't turn you away from F@H. Again, I am sorry for the problem, and we are trying to fix it.
Best,
Muneeb

All you can do is wait it out.

Thanks!

Welcome to our motley crew, we are not well organized, but we are passionate about folding.

Tannerleo

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

I wiped/reinstalled a couple of times, tried different versions, etc. Thinking I was actually accomplishing something when my GPUs got assignments.

Now I know.

Anandtech and us always flip flop positions. In about 6 months, they'll be ahead of us again. :D

Wonder if somebody should contact purch and see if they want to do another contest again between us. :lol:

theyeti87

Honorable

Perhaps after the summer months :p

I've got to say, I'm damn impressed with how Pascal GPUs eat through WUs.

Is there a difference to WUs assigned to CPUs as opposed to GPUs? I've been sparing my i7 950 and C2Q 6600 because it doesn't seem worth the electricals for 3k points over the course of 12 hours when the GTX 1060 is doing an easy 300k PPD by its lonesome.

Hmm... Probably a question better asked over in the F@H forum than here as im not sure on that one.

If i had to guess however, there might be some projects that are better suited to run on a cpu than a gpu but i really dont know.

Although for most people, myself included, only run gpu's anymore as it isn't work the electrical cost to run the cpu. Also most of the time running the cpu and gpu together will (typically) net you less PPD than running the gpu alone (even if you have a cpu core or 2 open just for gpu(s) to use).

Yeah, older quad core CPUs often aren't worth the electricity or effort to run anymore. However newer CPUs like Ryzen can net 100-120k PPD (so I have high hopes for some of those new high core count CPUs :D ).

Man you got me thinking now about these cpus and possible PPD from them. (if everything scaled accordingly and no issue with WU scaling up in core count)...

With the top threadripper having double the cores of the 1800x, we could possibly see 180k to 200K ppd.. (guessing the clocks will be a little bit lower than the 1800x so i dont think we'll see a perfect double performance).

Then a top epyc cpu... from a single cpu with those 32 cores (and probably lower clocks than threadripper) I would put it in the range of 325k to 350k PPD (maybe more if they can keep it above 3GHz but that would be a beast to power and cool at that point).

Dual socket Epyc could be in that 600K to 700K PPD..... Which would put it in the same league as my heavy overclocked 980ti.....

Maybe i should stop the mind wandering now... :lol: :D

Your right..... i did totally forget about that... So.... Im not work out the math for that..

I'll just add a plus at the end of my prediction and call it a day. :rofl:

Tannerleo

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017

I didn't realize that so I ran a quick experiment:
  • My 4790k earns about 450ppd/watt.
    My 980 earns about 2,000ppd/watt.
Is there research that can only be done by CPU WUs? That seems like the only reason to keep folding on my CPU.

in the past there was.
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28337

Re: CPU vs GPU?
Postby Joe_H » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Welcome to the folding forum.

CPU folding is still doing worthwhile science, a number of projects are only being processed on CPU's. In addition there are a few projects being run on CPU's to validate the results from GPU folding with a new core.

Although that was almost 2 years ago..... So things could of change since then.

I'm pretty sure it is still true, though perhaps not as much. I do recall some recent CPU only projects. In some cases it is simply because the researcher started on CPUs and wants to continue for consistency (keep using the same fahcore).

Status
Not open for further replies.