The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Sounds like a plan. My family rarely uses the heater even when it gets cold, so it might be fun to setup the desktops in the living room and see how warm it gets.

I run my Asus Dual 1070 at 112 percent power limit, with a custom fan curve. Plus lots of air flow as my tower is hidden inside a desk. Boost to 1962 on most workloads some a little lower. Averages around 70c for almost all work units a few a little higher with lower clocks in the 1939 range i think. Don't see it often.
I have 3 140mm fans in a filter box attached to the back side of my desk blowing in air at the bottom chamber.
My tower just fits on its side in the top chamber with 3 unfiltered 120 mm intakes in front. With a hole in the back of the desk for connections and exhaust. I think I measured like 10 times and figured the dimensions for the fan filter box even more. before I cut it. In the End it all worked out.

And good news is my office computer room is almost rebuilt. So I can move out of the dinning room.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Dangit. 989,000 points yesterday. Soooo close to that 1m ppd. Grrrr... must have MOAR POWAH. lol.

Currently running: GTX 960 x 2, GTX 970 x1, GTX 1060 x 1, and 13 cores on my Ryzen 7 1700. I still have one slot on my Xeon quad SLI P7F7e-WS motherboard. Maybe it's time for merry christmas to me?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
I'm getting a test bench first. Then I can set it in my room and keep it warm. Brrrr... Michigan winters are cold. And I just bought a PSU for it (Corsair RM850x) - so my 'discretionary funds' are running a stitch low. Grrr....

doubled

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Happy holidays folders.

Its been about a year I've been idle again. Last, time i folded was for tbe last challenge. I recently got some upgraded equipment but I've been mining. If there is another challenge I'll divert some resources. I'm running 4 1080tis and 2 1080s.

What's it take to get 6 mil a day? Holy....

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Engines are a revving already. Finally have my open bench in my room to keep it warm (DIYPC Alpha GT3) and am currently finally hitting 1m ppd.

I can't imagine what 6m ppd would take. I have a GTX 1060, GTX 970, two 960s, and a 750ti for 1m. For the prices I paid, it was under $600 in GPUs.

First, Thank you for folding, AND spreading the word to your friends.
Every bit helps and contributes to the science.
Welcome back and suggest your friends stop by and say Hello.
That way we can help sucker them in. :evil:

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Been trying to catch up to you guys. Last years event with andtech was awesome. 1080ti's do some serious damage, after running my 580's side by side and then switching to my 980's maxwell. I'm seriously just waiting for volta now, because man pascal 1080tis seriously fold like no tomorrow. Gonna keep on folding on :)

Welcome back!!!!
And drop by more often, whether you are folding or not at the time.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Never posted on here before. But i have folded back when Toms did that competition(once i realized you can have a team for folding, didnt know that before countless points to no team) Never found out who won but i probably should have checked on here. We are still trailing Anandtech by quite a margin. Maybe we can kick it into high gear and do another competition once we are at there door step. Definitely will stop by and see who's folding and such. Had trouble with my 980s, turned out to be a driver issue had to revert to 359. You guys seem to fold with tons of machines. Only have two, and one is my main squeeze. Its unfortunate that it has my 1080tis hopefully i'll retire it this year if all goes well with my new build to replace this 2012 one and then i'll have 3 machines. How good does a venice core AMD fold with a 9800GTX? Just felt like throwing it out, have that in storage but i doubt that or my other 2002 PC will fold much. See you guys on the folding side.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

I seem to be having issues. I keep completing WU's but nothing gets sent. Hits 100% and then starts over. I'm stuck at 810 WU's and never goes up. Do there servers go down eventually?

The stats server is down (notice the entire team is recording zero points). They'll reboot the stats server Monday or Tuesday and then all the WUs you have been completing should show up. The work servers record the points until the stats server is back up again.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Brushed off the dust off my folding chops and put my new Ryzen system to the folding test! Looks like CPU folding is still not very PPD productive. Even with 12 threads dedicated to folding, the PPD estimate is about 33000. I don't remember what my 4690k did, but I do remember that it was similarly lackluster when compared even to my previous gtx 950. I'll probably turn off CPU folding to save on the energy bill unless there is some need for it.

Moving on to GPU folding, this is where I am looking to make my mark. 2 GTX 1070's are running in my current system, and they are cranking out an awesome estimate of 1,170,000 PPD! I think I can probably do even more, but with limiting the power draw of both cards to just 55% (these are EVGA FTW variants so their power limit is higher than the normal 170W) , underclocking -200MHz, and memory overclock of 175MHz, the cards are running nicely at 48-52 degrees C. I can't be any happier than that! If I get the time will probably mess more with the clocks and fan speeds to see how high they can go!

My house is a bit cold during the winter, so take my temps with two spoonfuls of salt.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

I just put my folding open test bench on a table in my bedroom and let it run. CPU and GPUs (1x 970, 2x 960, 1x 750ti (lol)) Helps keep the room warmer during the winter.

As for Ryzen, my Ryzen 7 1700 is pushing out about 45k ppd on 14 threads, and it runs everything else (games/etc) just fine. And it feeds the 1060. I'm quite impressed with how smooth everything runs even when it's running at about 80% on the CPU and 95% on the GPU. It just keeps on cranking.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

That's exactly how I feel about the 1700x I have. It might not be the fastest core for core, but having those 8 cores and 16 threads really gives a lot of wiggle room to be comfortable when running a bunch of applications, or just a few CPU hungry ones.

theyeti87

Honorable

I've got my main rig folding when I'm not using it. Ryzen 7 1700, GTX 1060 6GB and a R7 260X.

The Ryzen folding about 44k PPD, the 1060 is around 390k PPD, and the R7 260X at 90k PPD.

What's crazy is that I have a GTX 660 that is technically a little superior to the R7 260X, but the R7 folds 3x the PPD than the 660.

The ryzen system is getting me around 500k PPD.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Anyone else update to the latest 390.65 nvidia drivers and have a 1080tii folding. I seem to have taken a 90% hit in PPD. I want to roll back but this is the driver to keep you safe from meltdown and spectre so bit reluctant unless anyone can chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.