The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

I think yesterday was the agreed upon start date. Looks like we will be starting with little fanfare and excitement, not that our community folds for such reasons ;).

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Sorry everyone. I've been out of the office due to a medical emergency. I'm back at 100% bandwidth and ready to coordinate this competition for you and AnandTech. Obviously January 18th has come and gone. Would you all be open to a mid February start date for the folding challenge?

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
I'm in too! You know if the cryptocurrency market keeps on taking a dive maybe we can convince some miners to fold for a bit.... Either that or pigs will fly, take your choice.

My money is on pigs flying first. Or maybe it is just a flashback from over-indulging in the 70's.
Fold on TEAM !!!!! :whistle:

Hi all, im back from the dead once more....

I see the F@H guide is somehow still functional and completely usable (never did change the hosting site of the photo's from photobucket to somewhere else after their ToS changed or what ever it was). Not sure if thats a good thing or F@H hasn't been really changing much after all these years.

Anyways, I'll try to remember about that upcomming competition but i hold no promises (family got some stuff going on in that time frame).

As for convincing crypto miners.... Yeah my money already on the flying pigs because pigs are always flying in Cincinnati, Ohio. :lol:

uguv

Distinguished

Any update on this?

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Wondering this as well. I know we might get our butts kicked again, but I've got some extra power in reserve that could be put to use to help a bit, at least.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Sorry, due to holiday and vacationing editors there has been a bit of a delay.

We're gearing up for next week. Hang tight while I confirm with the editorial teams.

We are always game for anything (within Reason) to promote folding.
A little more advance notice would be welcome.
ANAND has probably 2 or 3 times as many registered folders as we do.So odds are we lose.
I will hit a few other forums and invite other teams to join us against them, Ringers you might say.
Note to MODS
And as usual I will probably trash talk in our favor on their forums, so if you get someone here complaining, it was probably me again. I carry my sign in all forums I visit.
Looks like a few are gearing up but Sailor is down a bit.
Let the games begin
one from our own MM [:unolocogringo]

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

I could try to push it a week if that would help you all out.

Whatever works. I would rather run with it and lose, then for the opportunity to be missed.
It is more about bringing awareness to F@H than the results of the race.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Okay folders, I've pushed the contest start date to March 12th. I'm notifying the team now. I'm working on securing donation to Child's Play again. I'll have more details soon!

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

*checks the weather for next week*...highs in the 40s, lows in the 20s...time to turn off the heat in the basement and get a little crazy.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

sXWDlzG.gif

jpe1701

Honorable
I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere but how fast should my internet be for folding? I get 4mbs down and 1 up. I have a couple PCs that have a lot of idle time that I think would work well.

Doesn't need much internet speed, the data download and upload is just a few megabytes.

I do have a question myself, if anyone has any input. Right now my GPU folding slot is running a 11713 work unit, and getting about 300K PPD. Which is pretty much as expected with an R9 290.

But then I opened task manager and started looking at GPU load... which is about 1-2% most of the time, and consistently under 10%. My CPU load from folding is a little higher, but still under 10%. So how the heck is it getting these points? :??:

Sometimes those GPU load meters get fooled because they are looking only at video rendering components (i.e., parts of the GPU not used during folding) rather than the general compute section of the GPU (which is fully taxed).

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

I agree, it's nice they added a GPU load meter in task manager, but I find GPU-Z to be a much more accurate indicator of true GPU load.

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Not quite to full capacity yet, but after lightly overclocking my Ryzen, I wanted to get a stress test in before the competition begins.
Front: R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz + R9 290
Rear: i7-4770K + GTX 650 Ti
29xwZEl.jpg

uNq3nHe.jpg
R9 290 was throttling in this case until I took some...drastic measures :)

Yeah it did show up with full load once I checked in Wattman. But it's the first time both Task Manager and Afterburner have messed that up.

uNq3nHe.jpg
R9 290 was throttling in this case until I took some...drastic measures :)

Hehe... at least I reconfirmed that my R9 290's watercooling is good enough that I can't hear whether it's under load. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.