The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sailer

Splendid
I've been gone a lot, having to shuffle between two hospitals and getting two eye surgeries done. A third is in the works, this time on my spine. MS can be a huge problem at times. I've left the computers running and folding when I'm gone. I came home yesterday and noticed today that my PPD has taken a huge drop. At least the "Advanced Control" is showing a huge drop. By huge, I mean my computers are only getting 1/10th of the PPD that they normally produce. Even my 2080 TI card is showing only 256k PPD. Is anyone else showing a big drop in PPD? And does anyone know if this is just a temporary blip in the Stanford servers, or is it a permanent adjustment to PPD numbers by Stanford?

ThePretzelGuy_jr

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2016
So,
I've been lurking and folding on.

Looking to upgrade
currently running two 980Ti (@73 & 81C) with i7-7700K@4.2Ghz (74C)
this gives me abt 900K PPD if I don't go on vacation and shut down or if a windows update doesnt trash my machine.

Been thinking about going to a single water cooled 2080Ti and also a water cooled i9-9900K@3.6Ghz

Will the single 2080 do better than the two 980s?????
or should I wait for the next generation of cpu & gpu?

PretzelGuy

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Hey all, get ready to rev up those processors. We have another competition between the AnandTech and Tom's Hardware teams. The coronavirus is a terrible public health crisis, but also great opportunity to flex your folding rigs.

We will announce a special coronavirus folding at home competition next week. Your assistance can help us find a vaccine for this virus and any other novel viruses that may spring up int he future. Please reach out to your fellow folders on this team to let them know.

Expect an official announcement next week.

now getting 12:58:28⚠WU03:FS02:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration???????????? also don't see specific Corona projects -see cancer, ALZ, Park, but to virus? will check FAH home site
that happens occasionally and is usually resolved by waiting for a few attempts or restarting the computer if it takes more than a few tries.
Resets your work server.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
I think i used to run this on ps3. Anyways I set my PC of folding seems to be working, it says 18 minutes to complete work unit and my computer has 5.35 days to complete this work unit. How long do people usually leave their pcs folding?
Oh and it seems to only be running cpu, How do I get my gpu running it as well?

I think i used to run this on ps3. Anyways I set my PC of folding seems to be working, it says 18 minutes to complete work unit and my computer has 5.35 days to complete this work unit. How long do people usually leave their pcs folding?
Oh and it seems to only be running cpu, How do I get my gpu running it as well?
The first post in this thread is a Install guide.
Section 4 deals with assigning a CPU/GPU slot.

My computers run 24/7/365 days a year folding. other people do a work unit a day and some only fold during their winter months. We all give what we can.

Last edited:

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
The first post in this thread is a Install guide.
Section 4 deals with assigning a CPU/GPU slot.
I went onto their forums and a lot of people were posting the same thing, apparently there's not enough wu for everyone. I seem to have messed my cpu up somehow now, it had a really high ppd but then the web client started infinitely refreshing and now my ppd is stuck at around 15k no matter what I do. I'm going to try reinstalling the client.

I went onto their forums and a lot of people were posting the same thing, apparently there's not enough wu for everyone. I seem to have messed my cpu up somehow now, it had a really high ppd but then the web client started infinitely refreshing and now my ppd is stuck at around 15k no matter what I do. I'm going to try reinstalling the client.
They are trying to handle the massive amount of new users.
Out team has gone from 38 active folders to 577 in the last week and a half. This is just Toms hardware team.
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?t=40051
They did not expect such a sudden surge in users.
Plus many of the workers are student/volunteers. Who were told to go home when the University closed from virus precautions..
Hope they can keeps things up and running on a limited staff.
Thank you ALL for folding

Status
Not open for further replies.