Discussion The Tom's Hardware Forum Category Overhaul Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Hey folks!

We started this thread to center all feedback and discussion over the new forum category overhaul. Have something to say? Let us know in this thread.

Thanks and happy building!

--
The Tom's Hardware Community Team

Last edited:
Thanks for the discussion thread. Much appreciated.
A quick query, if I may...

Some of the previous trophies like Memory or Display are gone from my current profile. Also some of the trophies have the levels skimmed. Like...

CPUs Expert (50 points)
You're a CPU Expert with 10 Best Answers in the CPU Category.

I had over 200 best answers in the previous format which would have had made me eligible for "CPU Master" instead of "CPU Expert".
Similar downgrading in other trophies as well.

Any particular reason for this???

Colif

Win 11 Master
Johnny was talking about fact some forum categories have been merged today - Windows legacy now covers
  • Win 8
  • Win 7
  • Win Vista
  • Win Xp
  • Win 98/95
There is more to come but I will let him reveal it when he ready

The discussion wasn't about trophies which is something that will be addressed at some stage in future.

The way badges were awarded in the old forums was based on the tags on threads. If there were 5+ tags that matched badges on a question and you were awarded a Best answer for that question, you got 5 points towards various badges.

The new system only awards 1 point, you get the reward based on which forum the question was in. This is closer to how it should have been all along.

So all of us lost badges points, and many have to start from scratch as the software hasn't completely matched the old answers from before the transfer to new trophies. Your Best Answer count is likely to be fairly close to what it was before, but we all lost out on this transfer

I had 3000 points against Windows 10 Trophy, I now have 171... small drop you might say :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsimenhoff
Johnny was talking about fact some forum categories have been merged today - Windows legacy now covers
  • Win 8
  • Win 7
  • Win Vista
  • Win Xp
  • Win 98/95
There is more to come but I will let him reveal it when he ready

The discussion wasn't about trophies which is something that will be addressed at some stage in future.

The way badges were awarded in the old forums was based on the tags on threads. If there were 5+ tags that matched badges on a question and you were awarded a Best answer for that question, you got 5 points towards various badges.

The new system only awards 1 point, you get the reward based on which forum the question was in. This is closer to how it should have been all along.

So all of us lost badges points, and many have to start from scratch as the software hasn't completely matched the old answers from before the transfer to new trophies. Your Best Answer count is likely to be fairly close to what it was before, but we all lost out on this transfer

I had 3000 points against Windows 10 Trophy, I now have 171... small drop you might say :)

Ahh, that explains it all :giggle: thanx

I like the idea of the added forum for the Pi (and single-board computers), although single-board computers could entail almost anything including many retro computers or homebrews. Would this cover FPGA (which could be a SoC or almost anything digital) and Arduino as well?

As to the forums in general, as long as topics are easy to find, I'm happy. (The tags thing didn't necessarily work very well for that as some mistagged or didn't tag at all.)

Oct 4, 2018
there and fill those new topics up with great content

If you want people to participate, put back the comments on the article's page.

It takes too much effort to manually search for the subforum where the comments of the specific article are been put.

Is not worth the effort.

Reactions: shrapnel_indie

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
considering they all go to the Comments subforum and then either article or news comments, it should not be a massive wild goose chase to find.

the problem is not that they have not linked them directly below the article, it's that they have not been creating the threads to begin with at all. it's been passed up and hopefully they can get that sorted out.

if they simply create the threads and forget to link them, they are still easy to find as i have now taught you. you're welcome :)

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
If you want people to participate, put back the comments on the article's page.

It takes too much effort to manually search for the subforum where the comments of the specific article are been put.

Is not worth the effort.
We hear you loud and clear. Comments are in the pipeline. Yesterday we hit a big milestone and finished our first version of the custom API. The launch date hasn't been solidified yet, but we're in the planning stages currently.

Maybe the components sub-forum under Hardware should be named Custom PC Building This section not only could be used for those seeking advice, but to show off their builds in progress with Build Logs. And why is there no Audio sub-forum? I love my audio! :p

D

Deleted member 217926

Maybe the components sub-forum under Hardware should be named Custom PC Building This section not only could be used for those seeking advice, but to show off their builds in progress with Build Logs. And why is there no Audio sub-forum? I love my audio! :p

Home Audio and Home Theater have been merged into a single category. :)

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
I'm one of the members who lost my original account. I posted this fact last year in another thread which has since been locked as the OP finally recovered his account apparently. I understand this is not a priority for the developers so I'm not pushing here...just stating the case. My new account no longer provides the use of my Gmail account to sign in. I'm not sure what's going on with that or the forum now but recently I logged in and changed my password. Now I'm experiencing some sort of delay when I sign in. It takes a few cycles of trying to log in, then attempt a post or reply. exit Tom's and close my browser when that doesn't work...reopen, go to Tom's and try signing in again, rinse and repeat until it finally does work. I guess the new forum is still a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.