The Tom's Hardware Intel CEO Draft: Who Should Lead Team Blue?

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Lisa Su. AMD should take over Intel. She is uniquely qualified in that she has the most thorough insight into Intel. Intel is more deeply troubled than commonly acknowledged.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
I think Intel poaching a different company's CEO to lead them is a very unreasonable expectation unless they wish to tank even faster. Imagining Lisa Su would give up on AMD to lead Intel is just plain silly. It's hard to find a more fulfilling role in life when you're in such position than she has now, and it's about much more than money at that stage, unless you have reached CEO position solely through politics, not skill and commitment, and are insecure regarding your abilities. She is an engineering lead at heart and knows she wouldn't get the same fulfillment or respect for leading Intel. I think she's committed to AMD, unless she ever feels AMD stopped wanting her, which doesn't seem to be the case.

They are 90% likely to hire from within at Intel. Unless nobody's up to the task, then they will hire externally and fail further.
To succeed, Intel needs a technical manager from within to lead them, someone who truly understands the engineering work that they're capable of from within. It's a complex company with plenty of hidden talent, sinking while their core is sleeping on many opportunities. You need to know it inside out to turn it around. Their largest mistake was becoming a large excel sheet rather than a tech innovator.

All I know is that Intel needs an engineer in charge. A penny pincher or business major or sales oriented person are not what they need. As a product and R&D focused company they need leadership that understands those two wildly different beasts. Intel has the money to do just about whatever they want, short of buying the moon. They need leadership that can leverage that and use it to drive innovation. Their new CEO should also have a moral compass that is properly calibrated. They should see if Lisa Su has a twin with a similar background. Or heck, maybe that angry CEO that NVidia has might be able to pull something together for them. Can't remember his name...

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017

History shows that rejuvenating a corp with insiders fails more frequently as with outside talent. That they have not found anybody inside till now...means there are none willing or none capable. Both scenarios are likely and both scenarios mean Intel is not reformable. The only person that managed a turnaround of a PU conglomerate is...Lisa Su. Why not getting the best? Intel is just more of the same. Intel lacks products that have broad appeal. Pricing is off.

I'm not sure what sort of moral compass they need. They aren't the Peace Corps. They are an engineering firm and manufacturer. They just need to be able to drive the engineering department to build ever better, faster, more efficient, &c computer components than the competition at competitive prices. Then let their other departments do their jobs to get the product out and make deals with OEMs. While following applicable laws.

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017

False equivalency. TE 1:60. TTM 1:15. Its feasible. Not sure if it would make sense now since AMD has a great lineup and Intel is covering spiralling costs with pricehikes on mostly outdated and unreformable products. In a few years the scenario odds will increase.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
"We all would love to see the lemonade stand kid buying Coca Cola, but that's not going to happen."

Tfw the lemonade stand has the recipe for come and makes it taste better, have less sugar, and sells it cheaper. Oh and it doesn't melt the enamel off your teeth.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

So true, but he announced that he wasn't interested so we left him out of the draft.

Jan 18, 2019
Lisa Su is just riding the Ryzen wave, she isn't some miracle worker like everyone believes. Ryzen and its marketing is really the only thing keeping the company afloat, the graphics department is in shambles and its showing, and they have little no reach in all of the other profitable ventures like deep learning, AI, etc.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018

Did you see their budgets? Sure, the Zen cores are a miracle of engineering considering what they had to work with. But they had to neglect GPUs in the process to make it happen. Considering how little development time was likely dedicated in that area, they are still doing fine. They have Vega on 7nm as a temporary patch and Navi in the works. Moreover, they will have Sony and Microsoft consoles again. They are doing excellent considering where they were when Lisa Su took office and she made better choices than I assumed were even possible back then.
Sure, their engineers, Jim Keller and the resulting Zen helped, but she steered them there and did everything well to make these chips sell. She's an excellent CEO, and she represents the company amazingly well. She's loved by the enthusiasts as well, considering she never lost touch with them and the engineering side of things, as opposed to Intel over the last decade. I don't think we could've asked for more of her or if there's anything that she could've done but didn't considering where AMD was when she took it over. At the time, I was afraid AMD might never return to their former glory and we might never see any good architecture in the mainstream from them. They are doing great, and it's only getting better for them, as they are recovering. Surely it's much more than just CEO's job, but she's doing her part pretty much flawlessly.

Tanyac

Reputable

Damn! You beat me to it.. Would be the perfect choice :)
But not as a move from AMD to Intel. She should run both!

CanoeBeyond

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Intel should hire Trump. They'd be bankrupt in a year, but they'd probably have a "beautiful, big wall" to keep AMD out. ;-)

CanoeBeyond

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
How about Trump, Intel would be bankrupt by 2020. But they'd have a "big, beautiful wall" to keep those AMD heathens out. ;-)

CanoeBeyond

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Ouch, somehow having to retrieve my password turned into a double post. Seriously, I hope they don't go after Lisa Su. She's the medicine that AMD has needed for decades. 7nm, superior scalability and the renewed spirit of innovation is the sauce that gives AMD a leg up at this time. It's good to see, after being tromped on via Intel FUD for so many decades.